My Prediction for Florida

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I think that:

1. McElwain's "winning" (not losing?) the SECE in his first two seasons and backing into two SECCG's as the sacrificial lamb haven't engendered anything close to the goodwill that this would have bought Jones at TN (he'd have a statue for that list of "accomplishments", if he had done this), and other coaches elsewhere.

2. It was a curious move for Florida to have hired McElwain to begin with, and he's done little to dissuade anyone from the nagging concerns that he's likely to be anything more than Ron Zook 2.0 (although Zook recruited better), meaning, he's just a placeholder.

3. McElwain is alleged to be an offensive guru, but his offenses have been anything but, at least thus far. Taking in the Notre Dame QB (transferring after being beaten out for the gig in South Bend) and pinning your hopes that he could start just reeks of a desperation to me, and one which should be inexcusable for a team of Florida's caliber, sitting in the middle of a 5-star state, and more importantly, now heading into McElwain's third season. The offensive struggles are a particularly concerning problem at UF, where they have not only come to expect innovative and high-powered offenses, but who will see attendance numbers tank - TANK - when that's lacking, and they aren't winning big. McElwain is doing neither of those things very well, or with any consistency, if even at all.

4. Chip Kelly is the most proven commodity on the market, is perhaps THE offensive guru in the college game, scores points in bunches, and easily qualifies as being worthy of a school making a quick and decisive move on an existing coach, and which they may not otherwise make, that is, if it didn't mean losing out to Kelly. You'd struggle to find an offensive style that better fit UF's persona and needs, than Kelly's.

5. Everyone knows about Chip Kelly. I read somewhere that several schools have already sent informal feelers to him, and CBS' Dennis Dodd (IIRC) reported that it would be surprising to know that there are coaches who weren't even being talked about as being on the hot seat, but who would be immediately fired by their schools, if it meant landing Kelly. He's that coveted.

6. I believe that Florida will have another lackluster season (I think they'll likely to Michigan this weekend, and soon thereafter, will lose to Tennessee at home), and that even though the wheels may not come completely off, that fact - plus Kelly's availability - will be sufficient for Florida to have seen enough, and they will become the school that Dodd predicted, by firing McElwain and offering a Saban-like deal to Chip Kelly (essentially more money than Solomon, school president, admissions and compliance director, city mayor. etc.) in order to lure him down to Gainesville.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If Florida gets Kelly and we get/keep some schlep from the MAC, I give up.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Hee Haw beats Butch this year. They may still dump him, but I don't see a loss to the Vols in the future.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Eh, if Calloway gets the boot like some are saying, they have no big play threat whatsoever.

The defense is going to be slightly above average too

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It's a game we should win probably. I could see a 10-9 loss a la 2014 though.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I fully expect Kelly at Florida or notre dame next year.

7. NorrisAlan

Yep. And we will be stuck with numbnuts.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Don't forget the agent in charge of coaches at his agency was a Florida Gator football player (damn good one too).

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think UF has had close to 25 players drafted the last 3 years. I don't think their latest batch has as many players, has been coached up on D and can do much more than play action misdirection to a 3 TE set.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Florida hiring Chip Kelly would be the nail in the coffin for UT.

11. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'm fully on board with this idea that UF will get him. I wouldn't even be surprised to see UF win the east again, lose to Bama again in the championship game and then fire him. We'll go 8-4, or 7-5 and keep thr bUTcher. MArk it down.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

In that scenario, our fanbase will actually make fun of Florida for firing him and mention that they are about to be Bama in the late 90's early 2000's, on a seemingly endless coaching shuffle. Will argue that no decent coach would dare come to Gainesville after firing a guy with McElwain's record.

When Chip Kelly is actually hired, there would be claims about him getting them on probation, having a gimmick offense that won't work, not being able to recruit, and generally being unfit to coach in the SEC (this ain't the Pac-10).

13. NorrisAlan

My response to these kinds of people:

[video=youtube;yau7Z3vMBo0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yau7Z3vMBo0[/video]

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know it's probably true because tenny is only right when its bad.

15. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

[​IMG]

17. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Spot on

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So after year 1 at Oregon (which one could argue isn't really fair to exclude since he was previously the OC, but I'm doing it anyway, damn it), Chip won 90% of his games. Saban is winning right at 90% at Bama after his first year. Basically UT starts every year with 2 automatic losses and is completely out of the SEC race. Game over. Hopefully our kids will see us be good again.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he has one loss to a non top 10 in his time at Oregon and I believe it was the harbaugh Stanford team that blew out USC in the "what's your deal?" game. saban and pete carroll can't say the same thing. I've always felt the greatest thing he did was get these guys up for shit opponents. underrated quality in a coach imo.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Butch wont be here if he goes 8-4 the next 2 years with the overall strongest and deepest teams he has had with legit talent from Texas, florida, Louisiana, ga, and recently mid tn.