What are the options...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Aug 30, 2017.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If UF or someone else hires Kelly?

Is Bob Stoops on the list? What does the list look like?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Bob Stoops wouldn't be good enough to keep us relevant facing Saban and Kelly every year.

3. BigOrangeBeech

Then who would be?

4. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I personally would put Greg Schiano on my short list of coaches to call.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Virtually no one. They hire Kelly and we're done.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Sometimes the only way forwards...

[​IMG]

7. BigOrangeBeech

I get that UF hiring him would be a blow. But I just don't buy it that there's no one out there that would be a solid hire for us.

I think our only hope of UF not getting him is for them to win the east again and at least give Bama a game in the SECG.

Or at least prolong JMs firing and just hope that we can get rid of Butch before they get rid of JM. Then, of course, we still have to complete the deal.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I mean Urban Meyer would be nice, but he isn't coming. Gruden probably won't answer the phone anymore, but he'd be a force to be reckoned with.

9. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I think Schiano would be the best realistic option we have.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

1(a): Jon Gruden
    1(b): Mike Tomlin
    2: Disband football program
    3: [ddiapos] 2.0

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If Chip Kelly called Tennessee and said he wanted to come...

1. I think they'd say "No thanks" if Jones went 8-4 this year.
    2. If Jones goes worse than 8-4, there would be more influential boosters / admins who wouldn't want him than did, they would somehow manage to sabotage the deal, and he'd walk. Later, they'd say he was never interested and chide "internet rumors" for such foolishness.

Believe it or not.

12. BigOrangeBeech

I think if we're waiting for the season to end to fire him it'll be too late anyway.

If it were me and we start with losses to Tech, UF, and UGa, Id figure out a way to fire him after that UGA game.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

UGA fired Richt after a ten win season. I'd be on the phone with him now and Butch would be gone, regardless.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yep. If it were me, I would fire Butch TODAY. Not later in the season. Today.

Make Schoop the interim and hand Kelly a contract that says "Tennessee will pay Chip Kelly $__Million a year."

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

To get a guy like Kelly, you're on the phone with his agent as he's being introduced as the 49ers head coach.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I still think Currie has an itchy trigger finger and had a lot more freedom than Hart ever did.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Hell even Illinois kicked their coach to the curb the second they found out a bigger fish wanted in. We don't care enough to upgrade when the opportunity presents itself. Its the Tennessee football way.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I definitely think he is eager to make a football hire, I just hope he has the freedom to do so. How much freedom he has to make a change is the only part that scares me.

19. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Wouldn't play well within the coaching circle. He's got enough rope to hang himself after last season. Wait until a more acceptable time and make the move.

20. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

What would you do if they hired Lovie Smith?