North Korea H-bomb Test

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volguy1971, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Reports coming in of a earthquake in North Korea at 5.3 which was likely an underground H-Bomb test. If that idiot has that capability, then look for boots to hit asses soon.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I've read that they haven't figured out how to attach it to ICBM's yet but who knows. Either way, this guy is playing with fire.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Once you have that technology, though, it is hard to attack them. They don't even need to have an ICBM to wipe out SK or Japan.

IP said something a while back that stuck with me, and he may be right. We might be 15 years too late to do anything about Fat Kid unless we have some serious, serious, and I mean serious intel as to where things are and we can strategically send in stealth planes and kill everything in a coordinate attack all within 10 minutes.

And that is a lot to ask.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

They've done successful underground tests before. We know they have that capability.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Looks like they figured out that tritium boost.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Go on...

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

TT is way more knowledgeable than I am on it, but in the past they have had bombs on level with the bombs we dropped on Japan way back. Now it appears they have figured out how to make fission fusion fission, rather than just a fission bomb like Fat Man/Little Boy. There is something in the staging (and I am nowhere near comfortable commenting on specifics) that allows these type devices to produce much larger explosions. Megatons rather than Kilotons

8. TennTradition

They got more pop than fizzle this time.

It seems like they've been working on boosting the fission device with tritium - without saying too much, a first step toward a staged thermonuclear weapon. It is also a key to the miniaturization required for ICBM delivery.

You can call a tritium-boosted fission device a hydrogen bomb since it is, well, hydrogen. But, it isn't a classic thermonuclear weapon. We'll learn more about this blast, but I don't think this should be confused with the staged thermonuclear weapons like those in the US arsenal.

Tritium can boost the yield of a fission device because when it fuses it releases neutrons that are nicely tuned to be very efficient for initiating further nuclear fission in the fissile material in the device. So it basically increase the yield by increasing the efficiency of the device. By increasing the rate of fission, more fission can occur before physical disassembly if the device (explosion), which allows for s more powerful explosion when it does 'break apart'.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is it reasonable to assume it is a matter of time until they figure it all out at this point?

10. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Wow... I'm behind the curve on this news. If Kim has that kind of punch, it's only a matter of time (barring something supernatural or the greatest surgical stealth op in history) before things get ugly.

11. TennTradition

I forgot to discuss yield in my reply above. So I would be very surprised if we are talking MT yield here. I would suspect 100-500 KT perhaps for a boosted fission device. If minituraized for an ICBM, probably on the low end of this.

But these are significant weapons. Hiroshima was (I don't remember for sure, maybe) 13 KT. Now we could be talking 130.

12. TennTradition

Yes, though some of the precision that is needed could be difficult for them to really achieve on any scale. But there is a natural progression if you can get the materials.

13. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Even Japan is talking preemptive strike now.

Add CNN quoting Mattis that warns of "massive military response" to North Korea nuclear threat.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

If they've gotten this far, I'd say so.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Dude launched a missile over their country. You could hardly even call it preemptive at this point.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Thanks, I'm not even an amateur physicist, so I wasn't at all comfortable on numbers there

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Aren't they still having a lot of trouble with the shroud?

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have heard that they have no wat to do reentry from space for the payload.

19. TennTradition

I'm just speaking specifically about the physics package of the payload.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I agree. He has said he will bomb us. He produces videos showing he will bomb us to dust. He is testing nuclear bombs. He is launching missiles towards us that are getting closer and closer. It is no longer preemptive.