Thoughts after the GT

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 5, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

1. The d played well for the first 20 minutes, then it got ugly. Some of that has to do with being on the field for 18 minutes, some of that has to do with the D line lined up 3 yards from the line of scrimmage

2. You force two turnovers and score 14 points from them, you're doing well in that department

3. Justin Martin is still Justin Martin

4. Bituli running around making plays is an indictment on this staff. How the hell did he not see the field last year?

5. Darrell Taylor is going to be a very good DE here

6. Colton Jumper missed as many tackles as he made

7. Nigel Warrior throwing Marshall into the band cart was funny

8. The Oline finally got a push once Tennessee decided to run the ball some

9. The offensive tackles still have a hard time pass blocking

10. Kelly and Callaway need a lot of touches

11. A vertical passing game is a must

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I thought Cincy ran a lot of verticla stuff under Kelly, then Butch. As a matter of fact, I remember some video talking about how "4 verts" was a staple. WTF happened?

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch seems scared to do it. If I had a reliable TE and two WRs over 6' 2" like Jennings and Callaway, I would do it a lot

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

On #4 (Bituli)....this is the same staff that started Worley over Dobbs, and Jumper over anyone.

What is the deal with this staff? Are they just defaulting to playing the older players? Best scholar? It never seems like we have the best 11 on the field, and for the life of me, I can't understand why.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

JRM didn't get to start his freshman year either

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ugh. That was the year that converted safety was just so bad. Forget his name.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wasn't there some defensive tackle weirdness too, in terms of who got to play? Few years back.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wouldn't stop playing Jacquez Smith (at DE) when it was obvious he was really bad.

9. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Brent Brewer?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That was kind of out of necessity.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Could have played Vereen more.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's the one.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He supposedly had a bum knee

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Darrell Taylor is going to be a good one. Bituli as well.

Jumper still sucks.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Who the hell runs a flexed DT's against the flexbone.

Jumper is really bad at gap exchanges once the Dline gets a BDSD read.

I hate boxing DEs but our safety play on running the alley doesn't look much better than last year, so I don't know if we can keep spilling to them and jumper.

16. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Tom Landry. However, he alternated it and didn't have the whole line off the ball. Didn't seem to work well regardless.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Shoop hasn't shown anything except putting our players in perfect positions to be blocked. All year you have to prepare and you have an Air Force guy on the d side who has played against GT recently. I'm thinking now he is good with an immobile qb, like I believe he faced most of his Vanderbilt time and at PSU, outside of a couple of teams. He appears to be more lost than Monte Kiffin when we play a team with a qb that can run the ball. Dude ran it 45 times last night and it kept looking like a surprise to us. He's making Sunseri look decent.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I like this. The flexed DTs was inviting a loss. Jumper is really bad at almost everything. The lack of safety support on the edges last night, against a team that threw 5 times and kept annihilating us by simply countering back the QB, is almost unforgivable. We had months to prepare, have good tackling, fast safeties and horrendous LB play. I'm astonished that the plan was so bad.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Defense looked great in practice against the scout team with Jumper's little bro at QB.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

it's a struggle to understand. I could have prepared better on almost pure memory from Johnson's days of kicking the crap out of Army.