Indiana State

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 5, 2017.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Because I am sitting in online CPE this afternoon and it's boring, I decided to do a little homework on Indiana State.

Known primarily as where Larry Bird played his college ball, the Sycamores play a little football as well.

In 2016, they were 4-7 overall and 2-6 in the Missouri Valley Conference, tied for last. (The MVC home of recent powerhouse North Dakota State and 2016 FCS runner-up Youngstown State, not a terrible conference by FCS standards.) Their biggest win of the season was a 41-25 win over Butler on opening weekend. In 2017 they are picked dead last in the MVC, for comparison sake, that is behind Missouri State that Mizzou beat last weekend. In week 1 they lost in a last second heartbreaker to OVC middle-tier Eastern Illinois, 22-20. Offense seems to be centered around senior LeMonte Booker, who carried the ball 31 times for 154 yards and had an 8 yard TD reception in the week 1 loss.

Have 3 all-time FCS playoff appearances, last making it in 2014, where they were knocked out by UTC in the second round.

Head coach is Curt Malloy, who is in his first season in Terre Haute, and who is also a first time head coach after a career of being a DB coach and a DC with Illinois and Akron from 07-10. He and Hoke likely know each other well, as Malloy was his DB coach for Hoke's stint in Ann Arbor.

There you go. Now you know your Sycamores.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

350 yard day incoming.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Well, we have a very short week to prepare, so I am expecting this to be a hard fought game that really relies on the principles of complementary football. Really, a victory of any margin would be big for the program and would make us 1-0 for week 2, but you can't really read too much into a loss either as 100% of Team 121's roster will be playing their first football game post Hurricane Harvey. Honestly, even showing up for this game would be a feat worthy of an extension and raise.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We lose by 17.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Family is from Indiana, from south to north, including Bloomington and Indianapolis. Been to numerous IU games and high school games in both football and basketball. Go to Indy at least once a year.

I say that to say this: I just learned Butler has a football team.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You forgot to say "Will to win." You should say it a lot.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I've even been to Hinkle, which it seems is RIGHT NEXT to the football stadium.

8. CardinalVol

Hinkle actually coached the football team.

9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Volunteers 55
    Larry Birds 10

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

fyp

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I heard Larry Bird was their quarterback

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

And baseball.

13. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

McCringleberry? The dude from Penn State?

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Mixed downs will prove critical

15. CardinalVol

I just find it ironic one of the most storied bball arenas in the country is named after a guy who didn't coach it.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He coached all three - football, baseball and basketball.

Quite impressive really, that I had no clue he coached football and baseball until yesterday. Though I do have to admit my pops told me last night I've been to a Butler football game. I obviously was young and don't remember much because I thought it was Ball St.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just get out healthy.

18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I want to see everybody get snaps.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Quick aside: During one of his early coaching gigs (at a public high school in NYC, IIRC), Vince Lombardi was asked to also coach the varsity basketball team, when they were sudenly without a coach right before the season. He agreed, despite knowing nothing about the game, it's rules or strategies. So he checked out a book on basketball from the library, studied and followed it religiously, and lead the team to a championship. Great coaches coach, IMO.

20. CardinalVol

And IIRC hated every last second of it.