Jones: 2 QB's to Play vs ISU

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

1. Was Guarantano supposed to have played versus GTech? If so, why didn't he? It sure as hell wasn't Dormandy's stellar play.

2. What, exactly, will playing against ISU do to soothe whatever ire that Guarantano has toward the staff, both in being looked over for the starting job and in not getting any reps versus GATech, if anything? This game is only a very slight - VERY SLIGHT - bump above the Orange & White Game.

3. I haven't heard a peep about this staff continuing to evaluate the starting QB gig...so, is this about giving Guarantano a legit look to win the starting gig, or just to pacify him? And what does it say about Jones that he's trying to placate a pouting player?

4. Is it an indictment on this staff that this kid goes from being one of the top players 2 years ago - and the best dual-threat QB, IIRC - and now can't beat out Dormandy, a player whose skill set seems less-than-ideal for Tennessee's system, and who has thus far been less-than-stellar, at best.

5. This is the same coach who kept Dobbs on the bench for Justin Worley...which seems indefensible, in hindsight. Are we seeing the same stupidly stubborn mistakes being made, here?

Link: http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...nnessee-vols-against-indiana-state/643937001/

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's a crap opponent and JG has never had a live rep. Got to get him some work in. If Dormady goes down the last thing you want is Jarrett taking his first snap in the swamp.

But yeah, they definitely want to pacify him, too. Might be telling him he has a chance to capture the starting job, but I highly doubt they are really considering that.

3. atlvol1

atlvol1 Member

I legit thought Dormady wouldn't see the field before all the reports came out saying he was the starter. You know, what with him not being a fit for this terrible offense and JG being a perfect fit. Looks like I gave Butch too much credit.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Sir, our head football coach is a dumbass. If you can't understand this, then the problem might be looking you in the mirror.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don't really see anything positive that this will accomplish.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

5* post right here. You win the internet today.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Butch is about to bungle this QB situation as much as one possibly can. Wait and see.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The only way this cannot blow up is if JG looks like shit in the snaps he gets and eliminates any possibility of a QB controversy. If he looks great, even though it's a shitty opponent, you are going to have tons of people wanting him to start at UF and it seems that JG would go into full pout mode if he looks good during his snaps and doesn't keep getting more PT.

The experience of live snaps against ISU will serve no real benefit to him if he has to come into the game against a legit SEC team.

This is going to be a cluster****.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Everybody's favorite football player is almost always the backup QB.

10. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I knew he would.

That Florida game in 2013 proved he had no clue when he started Peterman - IN THE SWAMP - for his first ever game and tehn left him in there for a full half when it was obvious to everyone with half a brain that Peterman was not ready.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You guys remember when he was at Cincinnati and liked to change QBs quicker in games than his sodden drawers?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Butch has never been good at making game time decision or corrections. That will not change.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And Peterman is about to start an NFL game

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's true

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

All the backups should be in by the 3rd quarter

16. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I consider that more of a reflection on Jones' incompetence than just about anything.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep

18. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Amen on the first part of the post

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And Dobbs seems to be improving daily in Pittsburgh.

I am shocked.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yup, this will likely be a disaster by the end of the season with 2 QB's transferring or something like that.