Has Butch Been Playing Vanilla Until UF?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm not advancing this theory, but as I'm starting to hear people say / wondering / guessing something to this effect, I thought it was worth a look.

Our lack - or complete avoidance - of blitzing on defense is one of the most oft-cited pieces of information that is given. Another is that we've yet to play both Tuttle and McKenzie on the same front. Sitting Josh Smith and Evan Berry has also been mentioned.

So, do you think that he's been playing vanilla? If so, what supports this theory? If not, what refutes it?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Nah it's all nuts, syrup, and gummy bears. There ain't no ice cream

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1. I've heard this theory since 1996 pre-Florida

2. Approximately 51 of the 53 previous games he's coached here.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tuttle and McKenzie are rarely on the field together even when healthy.

Josh Smith isn't someone you gameplan for.

The blitzing, I think that's due to the offenses Tennessee's played. There's two ways to go after offenses like Georgia Tech, bring everyone or bring no one. Almost out of respect for your opponent, you don't blitz the FCS school.

I do think the defense brings a ton of pressure, but it's not because they were saving it, just because you're going against a redshirt freshman making his 2nd start.

5. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I'm pretty sure Josh Smith is injured. Broken collarbone, I believe.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hard to believe he would cling to the vanilla gameplan down 14 to GT.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Unless he is playing the slowest long con in the history of sports!

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's what they thought, it was a sprained ac joint. It went from a 6 to 8 week injury to a 3 to 5 week one

9. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

This.

We haven't seen any pressure, but its not because they're saving it they just didn't have it in the game plan.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

We were willing to lose to GT to hold our normal playcalling and personnel groups back? That'd be even worse than just starting the year slow.

Also, we hear this every year. It just isn't so. We are what we are.

11. NorrisAlan

Yet people continue to believe it, year after year. "We just cannot be that bad. Coach HAS to be holding something back, otherwise it just doesn't make sense." What they refuse to see is the other, more logical alternative. That the coach is a mental midget who simply has no business being an SEC coach outside of Vanderbilt.

12. Tenacious D

Neither doubting that he was injured nor of the fortunate turn of events in his healing process, at all.

But Jones said that Smith could have played on Saturday, but that they decided to hold him out.

13. NorrisAlan

He also said we always have lined up one yard off the line of scrimmage on defense. The guy might just have dementia.

14. Tenacious D

Agreed.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I wish our problems was just X's and O's.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And that Jalen Hurd had a "lower body injury" before changing it to "concussion" then him leaving

And that Worley has the option to keep on any read option they run

And that Kirkland wasn't ready as a true freshman

And that JRM wasn't ready as a true freshman

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Sure, he's playing vanilla... And Dormady is purposely throwing off balance, not stepping into them, and starring down receivers.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jumper is playing 4D chess. He's so deep into his "character" he's been developing these last few years for the 2017 UF game (known as J-Day in his codebook), he doesn't even know who he is anymore. But he's about to reveal himself as a cerebral player with a high motor that brings his lunch pail.

19. NorrisAlan

All part of the master plan. Lull them to sleep and then....BAM! Like Rocky in Rocky II, we switch back to southpaw and take down Creed!

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Concussions get misdiagnosed as lower body injuries all the time.