Fire Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by juicemane, Sep 17, 2017.

1. juicemane

juicemane Member

I finally saw the tide turn. I have been watching these games with my family and friends, constantly hearing things like "give him time" or "he's a great recruiter".

Even the most casual fan noticed that on 1st and goal from the 1, ut chose to throw a damn fade into double coverage instead of the SIMPLE decision to hand the ball off to John F Kelly.

I watched bonafide homers turn against butch Jones today. I have wanted to get butch out of here for at least 3 years now. Finally the casual fans agree.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2017
  2. chef65

chef65 Contributor

They agree for tonight, give them time.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wins against Florida are always so fun. We had such a ridiculous opportunity yesterday. They got their asses handed to them by Michigan. Asses handed to them by a hurricane. Asses handed to them by the police with the suspensions. They were beat up, have a coach on the ropes, and they didn't even play a good game.

And Captain Cliche blew with stupid play calls, sloppy defense, and terrible special teams. Hopefully our fans realize this is at least the third sure fire win against Florida that he's borderline magically turned into a loss. Shit, we could have about evened up the series with them if not for his dumbass.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Not only did they not play a great game, they played equally as shit as we did. Until halfway through the 4th their offense had no idea about this game. We gave them chance after chance after chance figure us out and they did, and it almost still wasn't enough. **** Butch Jones, I hate him way more than Dooley.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Horribly coached game. And if I'm a 21 year old qb with first and goal on the 1, I don't even get a playcall, much less check into a pass. I get under center and sneak I first sound or give to Kelly 4 times running downhill behind Smith. Should be no brainer. Instead for us it turns into a cluster****.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hindsight is 20/20. No one could have possibly known to do that during the game.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My wife, casual to a fault but very knowledgeable about the game finally said he doesn't need to be at a program of this caliber. She still won't say he should be fired because "I don't really know what goes on behind closed doors" and such and he seems like a nice guy.

That is the hurdle we face, same as with Buzz. People see it as college and amateur athletics all the while shelling out $200 to go to a game and paying $50 for that new UT hoodie. The dualistic nature of it causes a lot of people to still think like it is 1887 Yale vs Harvard and not a billion dollar industry.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Interesting observation. What does she say when you remind her of his salary?

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We could end up in a bad way here. The time to fire Butch was last season. We would have been the lone major program on the prowl if I recall correctly.

Now we are potentially contending with Texas A&M, UCLA, Nebraska, Florida, Notre Dame, and Auburn. That's potentially 7 fairly big time jobs to fill. If even four of them come open, someone is probably getting screwed.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Irma stressful managing a club sport. Sometimes I forget to set my lineup on fantasy football. Who ya gonna get?

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Which is exactly why we'll extend 3 years.

12. NorrisAlan

She doesn't think a coach has any business making that much money. It is a very interesting psychology to me, and she is a very intelligent person (far smarter than I am).

But I will say that during the game she was going "what the **** are they doing? Run the damn ball." That is about as strong a condemnation you will get from her.

13. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

15. NorrisAlan

I just cannot fathom the "Is it time to get rid of the head coach? No, not yet."

How much time does this ****er need? He has 4 years and 3 games under his belt. Any other business he would have been kicked out of the 40th floor window by now. He should be packing his office belongings now.

Oh, and coach, bring your play book to the office, please. And here, take all of the player's play books as well. Now, put them all on in a U-Haul and gtfo out of Knoxville.

16. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

If the admin is as f*cked as has been discussed ad nauseum, they'd prefer an average salary yes man over someone who would win but come with a heftier price tag.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Currie will either get his way and hire a fairly big name or quit too.

18. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I am probably the most positive Vol fan out there short of the unrealistic sunshine pumpers. What happened yesterday is blatent coaching malpractice. The sooner his cliche spouting, brick laying, wannabe champion of life ass is gone, the better off we shall be.

Could we sue his ass for criminal impersonation? He damn sure isn't a coach.

19. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Which is why, unfortunately, I don't think he will be fired.

In 2015 UT's football program was #2 in the country (behind only Texas) in revenue. In 2016, it was #9. If revenue is your top priority (for us fans it is not, but UT admin is not us fans) do you roll the dice by paying the buyout and bringing in a more expensive staff for the potential upside of moving up a little within the top 10, while risking the bigger potential downside of falling way down the list? Jones runs a clean program, kisses the right asses, and the money rolls in -- why take a risk?

I think even Botch's dumb ass likely finds 5 more wins this year. Tack on a toilet bowl W against some also-ran for an 8 win season that has that certain cachet about it, then cue the spin: the UF game becomes a forgivable "early season loss" that "was close," the team "was resilient" and "finished strong," 2017 was a "rebuilding year" anyway, and Jones has again proven what a superlative coach he is by not going lower than 8 wins even in a "down year." Just wait until 2018!

I love seeing the media heat turned up as I think that is the only way UT gets rid of him ie he quits. Plus I relish seeing him exposed for the incompetent fool he is.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch and staff aren't cheap. He's being paid like a top 15 coach.