The Halfcourt Trap: Selection Sunday Rapid Response.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Mar 11, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Drexel should be absolutely irate. There's just no way Iona should have gotten in ahead of them.
    2. Wichita-VCU is a fascinating matchup. The winner of that game will have a great shot at beating Indiana and making the Sweet 16.
    3. Greg Anthony has gone flat crazy. The idea that Memphis is a sleeper to make the Final Four is just off the charts bizarre.
    4. The top of the South bracket is interesting. Kentucky, if form holds, will have to go through Duke or Baylor to reach the Final Four.
    5. The Selection Committee did New Mexico no favors. They probably merited at least one seed line better and Long Beach State, if Larry Anderson is healthy, is an incredibly tough 12 seed.
    6. The possible Syracuse-Ohio State matchup has all the makings of an Elite Eight classic. The Buckeyes have to like the path they've been given.
    7. Florida got an amazingly favorable draw. I'm not sold on Missouri at all. The Gators have a legitimate shot to make the second weekend.
    8. Great to see Rick Majerus back in the field. He's one of the few truly unique characters left in the game.
    9. If Belmont can avoid getting killed on the boards, they've got a real shot at taking out Georgetown. This is the best matchup they've ever gotten in the tournament.
    10. Officials throughout the nation are hoping against hope they don't draw the Southern Mississippi-Kansas State game. There won't be a tougher game to officiate in the entire tournament than the streetfight between Team Martin and Club Eustachy.

2. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

But Hat, Memphis figured out how to beat C-USA teams by 20. Pastner 4 COTY!

3. Richard Dick

Richard Dick New Member

Just curious, who do you like in the Elite 8?

4. hatvol96

I'll post those Tuesday morning.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Got your elite 8 yet?

6. hatvol96

Kentucky
    UNLV
    New Mexico
    Marquette
    Syracuse
    Ohio State
    North Carolina
    Kansas

7. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Might want to remove Syracuse with Fab Melo being ineligible.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

They could make it to the Elite 8 without him. Not sure how much further, though.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no mizzu?

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Won't be able to replace 3 blocks a game and his presence on defense.

11. hatvol96

As I said on my radio appearance today, I have zero faith in Mizzou. I think Florida clips them in the second round.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yikes. currently i have them in my final game. i might have to rethink that.

13. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

If UVa was remotely healthy I'd pick them over Mizzou to go to Sweet 16.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Marquette to the final four? I just don't see much in them for some reason.

15. hatvol96

I think that region is lousy and I just feel one of those 40 point debacles in Michigan State's future. I'll believe Frank Haith can get deep into the tournament when I see it.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

MHF just got a boner.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hat, what do you think about Vandy's chances to make it to the elite 8 now that Melo is out?

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Not Hat, but I think if Fair can step up they should still be able to make the elite 8. This news definitely made Matta's day.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

hat, what do you think about Murray's ability to hang with a tough Marquette team? Sign of a team on the rise or a fluke?