Contract Question

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Sep 19, 2017.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Butch Jones is signed through 2020. Don't coaches usually always at least get a 3 year cushion in their contract?

The way I see it, either he is fired or gets an extension after this year. Surely Currie will have no choice but to let him go. Everyone knows he does not deserve an extension.

Could Currie just leave his contract as is?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He could, of course. But then you get the 'but recruiting!' and what not, and so either he will be fired or get an extension.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's why Sexton was hired.

It's standard operating procedure to have a coach with 3 years remaining so they cm tell recruits "I'll be here"

4. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

My understanding is Currie held off on giving him one until later in the season.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

4 years is standard for upper echelon coaches, IIRC, as it allows you the ability to reasonably promise recruits that you'll be there throughout their tenure, but also to prevent other schools from negatively recruiting against you, claiming that you won't be. From a personal perspective of the coach, if you're going to be fired, you'd rather it come with 3+ years remaining, as this gives you the freedom to take a year away and still have two years to get another gig, all while on the former school's dime.

I can't think of a single instance where a P5 coach's contract got down to less than 3 years, much less that it gets down to a single year, without either the coach or school making a move, but that's off the top of my head.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Les at LSU tenny

7. Tenacious D

Did he get below 3 years? I thought that the fire / don't fire him year was with 5 years left on his deal, but I'd trust your memory more than my own.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

You can't really bring him back without the extension and claim you are behind him from that point forward, giving him every chance to win in recruiting and on the field. Thats not a good look when you go after the next guy. Its decision time, and Jones is making it easier every week.

9. Tenacious D

Yes. By not extending him, you're basically firing him - only slowly - and will only further cripple our program via recruiting, while the inevitable is delayed.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The answer to that, if you don't fire him, is to extend him in a way that doesn't cost you anything meaningful if you have to fire him later so that the optics are good but the cost is small.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Also, we should fire him.

12. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

So do we all agree--he is either fired or extended?

Currie will have a dumpster fire on his hands if he gives Butch an extension after this year.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hell, have a raffle as to which fan gets to deliver the news. That would pay his buyout

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"Candygram for Coach Jones!"

"Coach Jones like candy!"

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah. it's almost impossible to fire a coach these days without a meaningful buyout because they have to be extended for recruiting purposes.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

You could structure the extension so that it does not necessarily increase the buyout.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He'll probably beat Bama and a week later it comes out that Saban had a stroke pre-game and was mumbling incoherently throughout the entire game. Earns an extension despite losing to Kentucky.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Sexton probably won't let that happen.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

agents just don't agree to that anymore. it's pretty standard now to increase the buyout.

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

It is, but it's also a matter of leverage. What leverage does butch have? Someone going to hire him away from us?