Dan Mullen

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Sep 19, 2017.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

How happy would you be with this hire?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I would be disappointed that we couldn't land one of the Big Three, but in the end I think it would be a solid hire.

3. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Would take

4. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I would be disappointed. Not like I was when Dooley or Jones were hired, but still disappointed.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What has he won?

Name his Top 3 coaching accomplishments - and then tell me how many of those would satisfy you were he to deliver the same here, over the next 8 years (the length of time he's been in Starkville).

I'm not arguing that the man isn't a damned solid football coach - but we are well beyond the point of merely needing another "solid football coach".

He's done and won exactly jack shit, like it or not.

7. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I definitely agree. But we haven't even had a "solid coach" in so long. It would be nice to actually out scheme someone. He's not my first option but my feelings would not be hurt at all if we ended up with him.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems a little mike riley or jeff tedford like. i.e. winning more than a bad school is used to doesn't necessarily translate to someone being a killer head coach at a traditional power.

9. cotton

He has those big shiny rings from OC Florida, and he put State in an Orange Bowl and had them ranked #1 for a minute.

That's why 7 and that's also why 7.

10. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

Record vs
    Auburn: 3-5
    Bammer: 0-8
    LSU: 2-7
    AR: 4-4
    MS: 5-3
    aTm: 2-3
    Top 25: 7-29
    Bowl Record: 5-2

11. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

When I factor in everything - record, recruiting, Tennessee's track record on coaching hires - I'd be ok with Dan Mullen.

12. cotton

For the record, I would have ranked Jones about a 3 or 4 and Dooley as "you've got to be ****ing kidding, right?"

13. Not my first choice, but wouldn't hate. At all.

14. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It would frustrate me...but I would watch the Vols on Saturdays again.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

pretty much where i stand

16. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Not a fan

17. Calculon

Calculon Member

Not a home run, but a well hit double. I’d be ok with it, but I want a proven champion as a head coach.

18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Now let's compare Mississippi State to those programs.

They were below .500 ALL TIME before he took over. Their last and only conference title was in 1941. As beech put it, he's at Kentucky with cowbells.

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Kelly, Gruden, and Stopps are in the elite tier.

Mullen, Taggart, and Fuente are in my next tier.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

similar to Urban in that if he has a badass qb that can throw and run, as with Dak and this kid now, its a dangerous team. That goes for a lot of teams of course, but if Mullen can guarantee that badass qb and one ready in his wake i'd be fine with it. The years he doesn't, he's mediocre, but would have probably won the East the last 3 years with this current UT team.