Tennessee Hires Jon Gruden or Chip Kelly

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 19, 2017.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

yep

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I've heard it argued that for that very reason he can't coach here after the last round - doesn't want to destroy his love for the place.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That's better than the what ifs he would carry forever. And don't discount either what conversations with Johnny and Peyton can continue to do, and have done.

4. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Agree. The decision to move on from Butch has hopefully already been made and the search for a replacement has begun.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Search should have been over months ago. Actual wooing should begin now.

6. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

I want to believe.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

My grud-o-meter is pegged out.

8. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

I'm dusting mine off.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

giving up a life and close to 20 mil in total income to chase around a bunch of college kids and deal with their issues is not something Gruden wants to do imo.

10. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Gruden has all but let it be known that he wants to be here. (Rocky Top on Mike and Mike, UT polo at Outback Bowl, dream job on Finebaum, etc....)

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I very much doubt gruden is making that type of scratch. espn is notoriously cheap. that being said, I tend to agree if he were to come back it would be for the nfl

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm a fairly b-type personality so that would probably be me. Pretty sure Gruden is type A though.

13. Ssmiff

he's got his name on a lot of things as far as speaking, marketing and advertising that he would give up. I'd think he makes more off ESPN than on.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd still be shocked if that got to 8 figures, let alone $20 mil. he's not hurting for money certainly, but he's not going to take a major pay cut if he comes to tenn IMO.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's best to assume he's not coming here until he's at the podium accepting the job

16. Ssmiff

you are probably right on the total, but I believe he would be taking a paycut of several million dollars, plus have no life and travel that he currently enjoys while making more.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Can he still do the Gruden Hotline for Corona and be head coach here? That is the main issue with him. He is making all kinds of scratch from national advertising that he may not want to give up.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't see why not. their have been college coaches with national commercials before. or do you mean because it's a beer commercial?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sure. obviously he has to be ready to get to work. but apparently he's insane and watches tape all day for his tv gig already. I don't think a couple of mil will stop him from doing it if he wants to do it either.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I just thought it was a Tennessee thing that you have to shill 1st Tennessee and Lays potato chips to the old lady in row 15 and couldn't do national advertising. But that could have been a long time ago.