Tennessee Hires Jon Gruden or Chip Kelly

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 19, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The man still gets up at 4 am and sets in an office watching game film six days a week from August until the season is over. He spends his springs traveling to football practices, from high school to the NFL, then starts prepping for the NFL season again. He still lives like he's coaching.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yep, not gonna buy any of it. I agree with the OP. It could happen. A lot of things could happen.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I can't tell you what he'd prefer. I can tell you that back in 2012 he contacted coaches (well, at least one) to inquire about them joining him here.

4. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I would prefer Gruden over Kelly. And if you take Kelly he cant pick his DC. We need a 3-4 or 4-3 guy IMHO that can build an SEC/Bama style defense. Kelly wouldn't know how to do that and we would be losing those 56-42 type games in the SECCG or the swamp.

Another thing about Gruden over Kelly, well, if I ever see a QB in the pistol or shotgun on 1st and goal on the 1 again I am liable to stroke out.

Gruden is sneaking the qb or running the rb.

Even as smart as Kelly is I have no idea what he might do out of his version of the spread. I love innovation but in that situation you dont get cute. You just beat the sh*t out of the guy in front of you and ram it down their throats.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Either of those two coaches would have had Tennessee so far ahead at that point that you wouldn't have cared if they quick-kicked.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Can't even get excited about this anymore. Butch has killed my give a damn

7. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Also if we are not going to return to a pro-style offense but keep the spread then we could get Hoss Cartwright Uhm I mean Rich Rod and bring Chief home to be the DC.

He is probably looking for a job at the end of the year anyway.

Rich Rod has no clue about defense but WV was a beast when he was there running the spread. Oh and Chiefs contract forbids use of the mustang. No more 4th and Chavis!

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

absolutely no one thought nick aliotti was a competent DC before chip Kelly took over and forced him to change the way he called games. Oregon was near the top of the country in takeaways every year Kelly was there and actually had one year where his D was top 10 in yards per play given up which is staggering given the pace he was playing at. the D really didn't go to shit until Kelly left. he always at least had a winnable D there.

Kelly ran a running version of the spread which worked just fine for malzan before he lost his mojo. he also knew how to bleed the clock when he had to. the guy would kill it at tenn. zero doubt in my mind whatsoever.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Now I know you're a troll

10. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I liked Chief when he was here. I think his defenses played well for the type of offenses that were primarily in existence at the height of the Fulmer era.

It's a different game now. Don't want him back.

11. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Dammit, guess I'm getting sucked into this shit again

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I know he breathes football, up at 4 am, etc, but it's all on his schedule. Not the ncaaa or college schedule with obligations limitations, academics added and babysitting teenagers eating up 18 hours a day. Those are the reasons he chose to not go further the last go around and will more than likely be the same ones next time. Of course he was interested and always will be.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Hard to worry too much about a 3 point loss to an undefeated SEC team with one of the best college QBs of the last 10 years.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the concern with chip is he's not going to want to kiss the alums ass and do alumni events like tenn is going to want him to. we'll see how committed to wining tenn really is.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Newsflash: They aren't unless it's a "Tennessee guy with deep southern roots"

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He's got the itch to get back into it.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There should be a secret contract clause only the AD and the new coach know about. It states that if any media member mentions the coach needing to "learn how to win," he is immediately terminated.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the fact he even got to that game, let alone kept it close, is staggering given the talent on that team. Oregon had annual recruiting classes in the 25-35 range before chip showed up. if he won that game he would have been the first team, in what 20 years?, to win the NC without at least one top 10 recruiting class preceding it.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He's not dumb and he's been around college football before. He knew about all that stuff before he started to express any interest. The problem was more on UT's end of things.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

USC syndrome.