Fraudulent Icons

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm not sure if anyone is following the events in Myanmar, but the situation with the Rohingya is reaching genocidal levels. The Muslim minority group in the outer regions of the country is being systematically killed, removed from their homes, women raped, tortured and, overall, simply attempted eradication. Meanwhile, the de facto leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, has maintained the accounts are overblown and, generally, ignored the plight of these people. This despite the fact that she was herself a cause celebre for decades, she's been downplaying the significance of the military abuses and dismissing of the claims of widespread persecution, blaming the Rohingya instead.

The point here being that Suu Kyi, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, status has been completely compromised by her lack of action and condemnation of genocide within her own country. It also warrants a closer look at her life, so celebrated, which may not be quite as worthy of adoration as once thought. The idea pushes me to think of other people who have been so well like and respected for their efforts, but later revealed to be a fraud.

Along with Suu Kyi, one to add to the list, for me, would be Mother Theresa, who was more harmful to the poor of Calcutta than helpful. Any others?

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Einstein.

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Wooden.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Paterno.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

In before Obama.

That said, what is happening in Myanmar is horrible, especially when you see these "militant Buddhist monks". It is antithetical to everything the Buddha taught and believed in.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Alfred Nobel.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

OJ Simpson, Bill Cosby

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Just about every televangelist ever conceived.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Captain America.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Superman

JFK

FDR

Aquaman

Joe Montana

11. CardinalVol

12. Unimane

This is a good one. It fits in with the idea that a squeaky clean saint-like figure actually did underhanded stuff few know about. Wooden won nothing at UCLA for a long time until he hooked up with boosters.

13. Unimane

What, you object to a middle age man sleeping naked with young girls to test his chastity?

14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Mike Krzyzewski
    Lance Armstrong

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Got to keep trying until you pass the test.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Go on...

17. CardinalVol

I was just naming ramdom people

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Ha.

A case could be made for the Kennedys. And I don't know anything about comic books, so I figured maybe you know something about Joe I didn't.

19. CardinalVol

Only think I'll standby until the day I die about him is that his performance in the 79 Cotton Bowl is the most overhyped performance in history.

20. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

What is wrong with Lance Armstrong?