Dan Mullen

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Sep 19, 2017.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Gruden, Kelly and Stoops would kill the current SEC, Alabama aside. League is riddled with bad coaching and decent to bad teams.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. GahLee

I think bama beats them like a drum.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sorry, will take Stoops, will take Gruden, don't want Kelly.

4. GahLee

Who needs Chip Kelly when you can have Emmet Kelly?

5. GahLee

I'd take going to Atlanta almost every year with a good shot at beating Bama. I'd be ecstatic with Kelly.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I'd would take any of the three in a heart beat.

I understand some trepidation about Kelly, and I bet it isn't with on the field stuff.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I always felt that was his most amazing statistic. all of these guys lose to shit teams occasionally. his teams would go and just curbstomp the vandy's of the world. blowouts constantly. no letdown weeks. I have no idea how he did it.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd much rather have Kelly than stoops. not even close. i'd rather have him than gruden too, but I know you guys don't want to hear that.

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Agreed. My top 3, in order, would be Kelly, Stoops, and Gruden.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I'd rather have Kelly than Stoops or Gruden too.

My concern with Gruden is his adaptability to the college game. Everybody in the NFL runs the same offense. Innovation comes from college. And I believe that Gruden has a great football mind and would be a great recruiter, but I don't know how he would handle limited practice time and players who aren't among the top 30 guys in the world at what they do. I think he'd have success at Tennessee, and he could have unbelievable success at Tennessee, but I don't think he's as safe a choice as Kelly is, and perhaps not as safe as Stoops either (although I think he has a bigger upside than Stoops)

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm trying to see how we've got hesitation over Kelly but not Stoops. Stoops beat up on garbage his last years at OU and had little to no defense many of those years all while having superior resources and tradition to Kelly at Oregon. Then they'd get to their big bowl and be blown out. Not to mention him playing Butch Jones coached UT teams fairly evenly.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Gruden has the most upside by far. I agree, he could potentially be more of a risk. However, he's also the only one who could potentially beat Alabama consistently.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He'd have no trouble switching up to utilizing a more mobile QB. Did it in the pros. Could do it here. And I think he even said he'd want to incorporate some spread principles in his run game if he ever came back.

14. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Its a no from me.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm sure gruden would be good, but he has been out of the game for a while.

I don't get the pac-12 argument either. pete carroll almost never got out of the pac-12 schedule unscathed.

chip Kelly pac-12 record 33-3
    pete carroll pac-12 record 63-14

and the pac-12 was MUCH better when Kelly was there. for pete's first say 6 years his only real competition was jeff tedford. pete also inherited like 15 future nfl players. while chip inherited a bunch of 30th ranked recruiting classes.

16. Tar Volon

I'm not as worried about his ability to innovate as I am about his ability to simplify for 18-22 year olds who don't play football as a full-time job

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2-1 against the two Sabaniest coaches out west is probably as good as can be gotten.

18. Tar Volon

Agree. To me, Kelly is an absolute no-brainer.

19. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

My only concern with Gruden is the transition from pro to college level.

X's and O's would obviously be a 100x upgrade from what we are dealing with now.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. his record against top 10 teams was not good his last what decade? Kelly recruited fairly well to a place that is not easy to recruit to. and he evaluated talent very well.