1st Amendment & Boobs

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Hmm, this thread seems to be heavy on the 1st amendment and light on boobs. Misleading title.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We have all the boobs we need, now.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You used the noun comedy. I used the adjective form in my response. I'm not sure how that makes me wrong.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Irony is frequently humorous but not necessarily. Although, maybe from a police officer's point of view that example might be funny.

5. fl0at_

Wrong may not be the right word. Over filtered.

I said comedy, implying humorous. You say comedic. I assume you are using comedic to mean humorous. You narrow it to mean "the comedies," as in, film, movies and the like.

I used comedy to mean humorous, and only humorous.

6. fl0at_

Ok, then that filters out that meaning of irony, and narrows your meaning down to contrary events.

Since violence and protesting are not contrary, I don't see it as irony.

It cannot be the words definition, because we're taking action. The literary device ones are also out. You are tossing the one that requires humor.

There aren't a lot of definitions left, and I'm not sure the remaining ones apply. So I agree. Not irony.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

What's the issue if it isn't a violation?

In general, I agree with what you are saying. The 1st amendment is a restriction on the state. I don't think the Trump admin did anything contrary to that in this case. He has said a lot of people should be fired.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Ftr, I'm also a big fan of the 2nd, the 4th, and whatever amendment repealed prohibition

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't know about Clay Travis and boobs, but Leah Remini just indirectly called John Travolta a ***** on cable TV.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Really screwed up with the 19th tho

11. fl0at_

There can't be a violation of there isn't first an issue. In the White House case, it satisfies both tests. It isn't a violation, but at least it passes both tests.

It's an example.

12. fl0at_

I too like the 2nd and the 4th.

At the same time, if Target says I can't carry a gun in their store, they haven't violated my 2nd Amendment rights.

If, however, the state says I can't carry a gun in any store, regardless of whether the owner of the store wants me to or not, we can determine if that's a violation. And some justices might even agree.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I used comedic to mean "like a comedy". That would include humorous and also like entertainment.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

heheh....boobies

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He said "boob" not "boobies". You are therefore wrong and we must talk about it for the next 200 posts.

16. fl0at_

Then the question still stands. How is violence humorous? And I mean violence. Not depictions of violence.

17. fl0at_

Words have specific meaning. I get that people don't understand that, though they should.

If you use the wrong word, you are talking about the wrong thing.

Irony is a perfect example. It can't have all the meanings of the definition, because it cannot be both an event and a literary device.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Obviously less frequent, but they are out there. One could probably find examples on America's Funniest Videos. Heck, people cracked jokes about Aaron Hernandez killing himself. I'm sure a lot of people would laugh if a Nazi headquarters was vandalized.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Actual violence is not funny in the slightest. The depiction of it can be quite hilarious.

It is why I don't like things like Jackass but laugh my ass off when watching the Three Stooges.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The exchange was ironic (according to Clay) because in attempting to argue with Travis, his opponents made a move that he felt actually worked in his favor.