1st Amendment & Boobs

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Sep 19, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Humor is in the eye of the beholder. Jackass was wildly popular and regarded as hilarious by many. I didn't really care for it, but I must admit there were some pretty funny moments. Johnny Knoxville returning that kickoff and getting hit with pepper spray and stun guns was pretty funny.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Morbid and the act of violence are not the same. I'm sure you've heard the saying "laughing with you not at you." The act of violence was the hanging.

Nobody is laughing at the actual hanging, they are laughing at the morbid nature after the fact.

It's like the joke you made about Jim Bob Cooter and breaking into a home. You're making a joke about Cooter, not the act of actually breaking into the home.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No, I'm sure there are women out there that would laugh pretty hard at Money Mayweather getting his ass kicked, were it ever to happen. The part about Money getting his ass kicked is the amusing part.

4. fl0at_

But he is incorrect. Because it wasn't an example of the point he was trying to make.

I stage a gun protest and carry a gun into a store that says I can't have guns, and then argue with the owner that I'm allowed to be there because of the 2nd amendment, I haven't made a point about the 2nd amendment. All I've done is trespass.

All Clay Travis did was be offensive; he made no points about the 1st Amendment.

And he looked like a boob doing it.

5. fl0at_

Then they are sadists. There are plenty of sadists out there. I don't deny that.

I'm asking how you find it funny.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If you'll recall I said something very similar very early in this thread. He blew his opportunity. He made a couple of points after the fact on his own show, but almost none of that reached the audience that saw his CNN appearance, I'd expect.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't recall claiming I find it funny. I said it could be found funny and provided examples and even examples of people that would be amused.

Also, you asked me how it is humorous, not how I find it funny.

8. fl0at_

I'm not saying you did say it was funny. I asked for you to show me how you found it funny through your eyes. And then you proceeded to cite examples.

You could have just said "I don't find it funny."

But when you cite examples after I ask a question, I presume you are responding to the question with examples you find funny.

Since that would answer the actual question, rather than be some stream of conscienceness tangent.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If you asked me to how I find it funny through my eyes, I missed it. All I saw was you asking why it is humorous. Feel free to bump that post and I'll respond to it.

10. fl0at_

11. fl0at_

Yes. You also said he's made good points recently about the irony of the first amendment.

That's the whole thing. Where has he done this?

If he's just taking about conversations amongst private citizens, he hasn't said a single thing about the first amendment.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Here is what happened. He made an opening remark, the subjects of which were "the first amendment and boobs". If he follows typical paragraph or argument structure, it follows that the next things he has to say will be in relation to at least one of those two things. He was, however, cut off and did not ever complete his thoughts. He did say later, however, that he was in a discussion about the first amendment. I have chosen to take his word. He also later said that he found it ironic that he was shut down. Although he never fully explained himself, my interpretation of his meaning is that the irony was related to the folks in charge cutting him off when he was attempting to discuss a law that prevents the folks in charge from cutting him off. I get that CNN anchors and the government bear very little resemblance. The lone similarity is a position of authority in that one specific instance. Maybe that's too tenuous a similarity to make an adequate comparison. If that is your view, so be it.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Response updated thanks to information from dictionary.com:

I can't recall instances offhand when I remember violence being funny in the real world. Obviously, I could spend all day recounting humorous depictions of violence from the world of entertainment.

Actually, there was one time when I was helping out with some of the younger wrestlers. Myself and another upperclassmen were at this JV event kind of being assistant coaches. Most of these guys didn't know what the hell they were doing so we tried to scream directions at them from the corners of the mat. Kind of dumb because they make you wear the headgear that covers your ears and blocks all that noise, anyway. But this one guy does something illegal and the ref admonishes him for it. He and the other wrestler are kind of facing off, both on their feet, knees bent, hunched over. Our guy, having just been admonished, stands up completely straight, arms at his side, turns his head to the ref, and tries to explain himself. The match is still active. Other guy rushes him, we scream warning, but it's too late. He's got his arms around him. Now our guy is pinned with his hands at his side and is being lifted off the ground and kind of yelps. Just a crushing suplex follows, probably the worst I've seen. It was the kind of thing you could never execute in a match because the other guy would never let his guard down enough to allow it. Anyway, it was violent and hilarious. We were laughing hysterically. Our guy lost. I imagine he was a little banged up, but he wasn't seriously injured or anything.

14. fl0at_

There is no law that prevents anyone from cutting Clay Travis off.

There is no law that prevents people in authority from cutting someone's speech off.

The only 1st amendment only applies to government. Not like government. Not authority. Not power. Not anything but government, and those acting on behalf of the government. Which is the same as government.

CNN and government bear NO resembleance. Not "slight," "little," "small," "minimal." No. Full stop.

So there is no irony.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well I will disagree with you there and I think we have reached the limits of discussion on this topic.

16. fl0at_

Interesting. Thanks.

17. fl0at_

Yes we have.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No we haven't!

19. Calculon

Calculon Member

So, where are the boobs?

20. fl0at_

All over. We are lacking [breasts], though.