The Section 119 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Mar 13, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. That was a fun crowd. It's interesting how different the atmosphere in the building was with a different crowd in the good seats.
    2. The Savannah State fans were superb. They supported their team and had a great time doing it. That's the essence of college sports.
    3. Jarnell Stokes was dominant when he chose to be. Unfortunately, he completely quit playing defense late.
    4. Josh Richardson has moments where I see his game and think he could develop into a Julyan Stone type point guard. If that could happen over this offseason, it would solve a number of UT's current offensive problems.
    5. It appeared that getting up by 17 with relative ease led to Tennessee becoming complacent. They did react positively when it became apparent the game might be in jeopardy.
    6. You have to be ready when your number is called. Yemi Makanjuola did just that tonight. His knowledge of the game still limits what he can do, but the potential isn't difficult to identify.
    7. Horace Broadnax is another example of a phenomenon that bothers me to no end. He has taken Savannah State from being one of the laughingstocks in college basketball to a conference title. Yet, you never hear his name mentioned for openings up the ladder. Guys like Buzz Peterson and Matt Doherty get a million chances to prove their incompetence. Coaches at HBCUs, working on shoestring budgets and succeeding, can't get a shot. Yeah, that's fairness.
    8. Trae Golden is playing off the ball more and more. That tells me that Coach Martin has a different plan in mind for the point guard position next year. It'll be interesting to see what that turns out to be.
    9. Skylar McBee made meaningful shots again tonight. One of his threes really seemed to blunt Savannah's momentum and effectively ice the game.
    10. The purpose of tournament basketball is to advance to the next round. UT accomplished that in fits and starts tonight. The next one will be far, far more challenging.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You are so right about Broadnax. I thought about that as the game was going on.

Hat, did you have any suspicion that some of the kids we helped out were in the crowd? This may be impossible to know. Just wondering.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Stokes' fitness level was a problem tonight.

4. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Hat what did you think about the job Breeding and Co. did tonight?

5. hatvol96

There were an awful lot of kids at the game.

6. hatvol96

There's a reason they were doing a first round NIT game on a Tuesday.

7. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I was really impressed with Yemi, he does a much better job guarding P&R than Stokes who was clearly not made to play or taught defense in high school.
    I was shocked how much difficulty UT had guarding the most basic A-set (Horns) play there is. P&R with roller and other high post pops.
    With his length and athleticism that's a game Jordan McRae should score a bunch of points.
    How much money has Woolrdige stolen from UT?

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Never thought much about this, but I can't remember many HBCU coaches making the jump to high major schools or really being in consideration. I'm sure there are some. Who are they?

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

John Chaney was one. Don't know of others off the top of my head.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Anyone think Richardson plays a little like Tyler Smith? There are some obvious differences, but he has this sort of slash move and jump stop that looks exactly like Tyler.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Random, but while we're talking HBCU's, one of my greatest sports memories was being in Pittsburgh in '97 for the Coppin St-South Carolina game. The Coppin band showed up about 15 minutes after the game had started. Late. For the freaking NCAA tournament. They--along with their cheerleaders--were hilarious. Fang Mitchell was an absolute maniac storming up and down the sidelines. By the 2nd half, the Igloo was going nuts for Coppin.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I always liked BJ McKie.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Can anybody give me additional info about Broadnax apparently being left at the hotel by the bus and not making it to the arena until 7? A guy at work said something about it.

I also got a good chuckle out of Blackmon's name being misspelled on his jersey and him not wanting to cause trouble by telling anyone it was misspelled.