Chip Kelly to Tennessee

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by salutethehill, Sep 20, 2017.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

in fairness the big 12 has been garbage for the last 3 years.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

So has the SEC East. At least Stoops took advantage of it.

3. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Give me Stoops over the field. I liked the idea of Gruden, and still do, but his time away from coaching makes me a little apprehensive. Kelly doesn't have the recruiting pedigree that Stoops has, and he benefited from being the trendy college for years. I'd still take him in a heartbeat, however.

Stoops has years of competing and recruiting at an elite level, has an SEC background, and is still young enough to make a significant impact at whichever program he lands.

It would be the equivalent of Michigan hiring Harbaugh.

Stoops 2018!

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Gruden is the only guy that would be the equivalent of Michigan-Harbaugh.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you won't get me to argue he's not a clear upgrade over butch

6. OrangeBlood79

Also...

If you're Currie, you have to recognize the opportunity you have to make a career-making hire, with three ELITE coaches currently available to take over a program.

He has to realize that, right?

7. OrangeBlood79

It's a matter of opinion, but you have to agree that any of the three would make national headlines.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I think Stoops is a 0% risk, guaranteed success. He'd win the east multiple times, get us an SECC, and get us into the playoff.

Kelly and Gruden, both minimal risk, but potential to be legendary, multi-national championship hires.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's a lot easier to recruit to oklahoma than oregon despite all the talk about the uniforms and the like. kelly recruited better than any coach before him or since (i guess until taggart, but that class isn't signed). he had a top 10 recruiting class at oregon which has never happened ever. before he got there they were in the low 20s and high 30s every year.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You are a clear upgrade over Butch.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

why do i get the impression that's not much of a compliment

12. OrangeBlood79

I've read (not sure of its accuracy) that one of the reasons CK wanted in the NFL so much was to rid himself of the whole recruiting aspect of football. Now, that being said, Spurrier was never particularly fond of it either.

I'm not averse to Kelly, I assure you, but Stoops is my favorite. He's always run the kind of offense that I prefer and his defenses have always been solid. I think wherever he lands next, he's there until he retires. Add in his SEC background and I think he's the perfect fit.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he doesn't like recruiting, but he is very good at it. he relates to 18 year olds very well. i think his greatest [itch bay] was alumni functions and other things of that variety he felt were a waste of his time. by the end, he got oregon to let him do the bare minimum there. this is why he could not be the head coach at usc. i still believe kiffin got fired there primarily because he didn't kiss the alumni ass properly and stopped giving a shit about it after his 10 win season. kelly is one of these guys who's entire life is about football and he doesn't like doing things other than football.

14. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Sounds a LOT like Nick Saban circa 2006

15. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

Klatt, in the clip, was very doubtful that Stoops takes another HC gig.

16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

was thinking the exact same thing

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Not vfl

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He was earning a paycheck while serving his show cause. The only way to do that was JUCO or NFL.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think he got the show cause until he was already in the NFL. Probably wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.