"Let the season play out"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorrisAlan, Sep 25, 2017.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I hear this. A lot. Let the season play out before you make any decisions about the coach.

My question is, why? What is the reason this is repeated so much, especially by media pundits? I can understand ex-players, but just regular media people say it all the the time, and I don't understand what purpose it holds.

Sure, back in the days of coaches making 100k a year, I can understand. But these guys are making millions upon millions to basically teach PE, and they have a huge effect on the local economy in Knoxville and the surrounding areas.

So why "wait"? What does it achieve vs cutting early and looking for a coach and giving hope to the fanbase and perhaps fill seats the rest of the year?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's not like we have four years to look back on, Norris.

3. NorrisAlan

And I am not even talking about our particular situation, even though I am hyperaware of it because of our situation. But just in general, why wait? I don't think it helps your image any or hurts your chances any to get a new coach. They all know how the game is played now.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So I can laugh at him being exposed as a fraud and get some enjoyment out of this.

5. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

The biggest win we can hope for this year is the race to the job market. We must beat UCLA, AR, etc.

6. NorrisAlan

A&M, Florida, Arkansas, Auburn, just in our damn conference!

I wouldn't doubt LSU chucks the Caveman, either.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

McElwain is too lucky to get fired yet, and Malzahn appears to be in the same boat.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He may have something in his freshman QB.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Frank Wilson is the next LSU coach, be it tomorrow or 2020

10. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Misleading thread title, I thought Norris had lost it for a minute.

11. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Generally, and I mean GENERALLY speaking, letting it play out is avoiding a knee jerk reaction where emotions take over. 1st rule of poker??? Anyone??? Oceans Eleven..."Check your emotions at the door".

The typical fan wants a coach fired or the backup qb to play after a loss. Then, a win will redeem the coach. In theory, Butch could go 11-1. The odds about a billion to one, but "I'm saying theres a chance". He could go 10-2. Best season since the stone age and Butch would beat that dead horse forever. So, there is logic for it. LSU won a Natty with 2 losses.

But, in our case, the body of work at this point shows that Butch gets the exact same results regardless of Coordinators and, for the most part, players. We know what he is. 4 complete seasons is more than enough to know for certain. Bungled decisions...by him that even the common folk can see. He is really a national laughing stock. We have let the season play out...4 damn times. TN has been more than fair to Butch Jones, regardless of his spin. But after three OC's and we oof it inside the 5, goofball slogans, etc. We have fairly let it play out. And, he has struggled to beat 2 tuneups at home. Continues to literally invent ways to lose to FL. Move on.

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm was surprised that he didn't get it over O.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think that will come when he's a WR coach at Indiana next year (thanks Mike!).

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Malzahn is going to end up being hard to fire, he'll battle LSU for second in the West and beat Alabama once every 7 years.

You can't fire a guy winning his division every year unless he's caught with hookers and blow, so Mr Ed will be at UF awhile too

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I can understand giving a coach three years, especially when he's in a shit situation, but it's usually crystal clear how good of an actual coach someone is by year two.

16. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

"Let the season play out...."

No.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yes, by the second half of the second year in general. I didn't even give up on Dooley until the Arkansas game of year 2.
    That said, Butch had a long mediocre track record before he even set foot on the charter from Cincinnati. We pretty much knew what we were getting.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I also get that there are levels of inadequacy, and Butch would have been a fine 3 or 4 year caretaker once it was clear he couldn't cut it.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If we had let him go after the second year, we might have a championship by now.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or third. He turned the roster over quickly