Convince Me

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Sep 28, 2017.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

That this is Butch's last season. Listened to Mark Schlabach on the Basilio show give a defense case for Butch, citing back to back 9 win seasons. I die a little inside every time someone claims Butch isn't going anywhere.

Please tell me there is no possible way this strange little man will be on the sideline in 2018.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

3. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

You're right, nothing to worry about.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Long live that trashcan. It was a sign of the end times.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Back in the old days, a 9 win season meant you went 9-2 and probably finished in the top 15 to most people. It doesn't mean that anymore.

6. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

It means you went 8-4, blew the SEC East with the most talented team Butch will ever have, and won a meaningless bowl game against a malnourished Big 10 team. That's the ceiling.

7. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

For the sake of argument, it is possible. I do think 8-4 could buy him another season, but the schedule and timing is the problem. In theory, he could lose to FL, GA, So Car, and Bama. That is 4 losses. However, he will not survive 3 consecutive losses and the negative momentum. He has to beat GA or at least So Car to get to the back end of the schedule. So, timing of wins and losses is very important. A GA loss puts him in a very bad situation. I think an ugly loss could even be the end. Bye weeks are awfully convenient. But, if he loses to GA and doesn't get fired, then I think So Car decides his fate.

So, were he to beat GA and then So Car, I think he has basically saved his job or at least bought the remainder of the season. He could still lose 1 more after Bama and end up 9-3. And, then he has a shot at 10 wins. If he splits those 2 games, I think he likely gets to finish the schedule without a collapse. Finishing the schedule is not what we want. Lord help us all.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, precisely. From now til Bama is his window to save himself. He needs to win 2 out of 3 and finish strong. One out of three won't do.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ain't happening. South Carolina is garbage, but even they could be a loss with the team having quit.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he could go 0-3. Can't imagine him surviving that, even if he didn't have the locker room situation

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

But I really wouldn't be surprised to see that happen. We will play our one random good game against Georgia, which could go either way, and then we get a bye to prep for a terrible South Carolina team.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A bye week is a long time when a locker room is in turmoil.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

true, could swing the other way. but if we pull it out against Georgia (or even if we lose close), beating South Carolina wouldn't exactly be a surprise, even if it's not a guarantee

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Depends how bad that locker room is.

A g tech or u mass effort will get you beat by scar. A Florida effort might be enough for scar.

Unless there is a dramatic change on D, I don't see us holding uga or Bama back. And we know that our best weapon on o doesn't get fed when it matters

15. cpninja

cpninja Member

Butch is 2-4 after a bye week at Tennessee, and he lost to a terrible South Carolina team last year after a bye week

so a week off isnt exactly a good thing for Butch imo

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Butch has probably "won back" the locker room at least once, likely twice since he took over. I think a bunch of players were there for that critical moment and are probably thinking they were fooled. I don't believe he can get the team back if he's really lost them this year. It appears to me that he has.