Your Heart of Dixie/Pacific Ocean Primary/Caucus Gameday Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Mar 13, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Romney polling much stronger in the south that anticipated, no doubt because of the Jeff Foxworthy endorsement he received over the weekend. If Romney can pull off a victory in either state with a close second place showing in the other (or even strong second place finishes in both), it will be time for many to admit that maybe he can unify the GOP after all for the fall.

As for the Pacific end of this, Romney looks to continue his Pacific sweep, up by 16 in Hawaii, and well, I can't find any American Samoa polls so we'll just assume he's up by a lot there too.

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

right now Romney is at 28% with 19% reporting. Santorum at 33% gingrich at 30%

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This thing is starting to get real interesting. The whole proportional delegate deal is starting to backfire on the Republicans, I do believe.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Alabama made a series of idiotic decisions in tonight's election. I knew they weren't going Paul (my guy), but they went full retard in several key races.

5. CardinalVol

How so, if I can get your professional opinion?

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Well, they wanted to extend the race to keep their name in the conversation but I'm not sure they wanted to extend it this long. Romney looks to be fine unless Gingrich drops out, then it tightens up. I just don't think the Party ultimately wanted it to get so protracted especially when facing an incumbent. This would be fine and well if the Dems had an open seat too.

7. CardinalVol

Is Gingrich going to drop?

After yesterday's showing, his donors have got to say enough is enough if he can't win those two states.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

He said he wasn't. Some folks are convinced that Gingrich staying in the race hurts Santorum and helps Romney, but I can't get any kind of read on who Gingrich voters really are. And thus, who they ultimately would support. Gingrich had some curiously kind words for Santorum last night, though. Hmmmm.

9. CardinalVol

I honestly didn't watch anything except during halftime of our game.

I also agree about the voters. I was between Newt and Romney. I know several others who were the same or said they would go Romney if Newt dropped out. I think it is a very poor assumption to assume that the majority of Gingrich's supporters would go to Santorum. I just believe it is a lot close to 50/50 than people realize.

Even since Romney's folks met with Gingrich's PAC super donor (I forgot his name), part of me has wondered if the conversation wasn't to continue to fund Newt to keep him in the race....

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm not convinced paul is better than santorum.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Saw an article, and I forget the methods they used, but they argued even without Newt, Santorum wouldnt be any closer.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Santorum thinks Gingrich is his only problem.

13. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i'm a conservative, and i'm sorry i don't think santorum is the answer

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

If Santorum were the answer, then I'd be very fearful of the question.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

By his donors, you mean Mitt?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Mitt has some friends with deep pockets that are helping him out. As wealthy as he is, elections are too expensive for just one millionaire.

17. CardinalVol

Huh?

18. fl0at_

Was implying that Romney was using his connections to fund Gingrich to keep him in the race, thus depriving Santorum votes.

Splitting votes, essentially.

19. CardinalVol

See 2 posts down from my post you originally quoted. :)

20. fl0at_

With these proportional caucuses, even if only half of the Gingrich supporters went for Santorum, that keeps him close until Gingrich drops out. By forcing the split, at least through the most Conservative races, he can keep Santorum at bay, until he reaches more middle of the road states.

There are several that view Romney as not Conservative enough, and go Gingrich. Without Gingrich, I think a lot of those votes go to Santorum.

How many is unknown, but with the proportional caucus, the fewer votes to Santorum the better, for Romney. Even if he has to give a few to Gingrich, because Gingrich isn't his true competition.

Essentially, split the very Conservative vote, and take the remainder.