Coaching Search Competition

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Oct 1, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Posted this elsewhere, but thought it was thread worthy. Looks like the time to fire him is now. Competition for candidates is coming and soon.

A&M's next five weeks:

Bama
    at Florida
    Open
    Mississippi State
    Auburn
    He could easily go 0-4, which would put him at 4-5. He can't survive that.

LSU's next five weeks:

at Florida
    Auburn
    at Ole Miss
    Open
    at Bama
    Very likely he goes 1-3 to be 4-5 overall with a blowout at Bama. I don't think they'd fire him in year one, but it isn't totally absurd.

Notre Dame is about to face UNC, NC State, USC, Wake Forest and Miami. That could end Brian Kelly.

UCLA doesn't have much tough until late in the season, so Mora is probably safe for a little while.

Who else has a coach on the hot seat that we might need to worry about?

2. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Neither Sumlin nor Ed O will be fired, IMO. Also we aren't in a hurry because we aren't hiring a big name. UT Admin is more incompetent and dysfunctional than the San Juan Mayor. Butch will be replaced with another Butch.

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

aTm should beat Florida, MSU is a tossup. I think Sumlin gets fired after the season.

LSU probably only beats Ole Miss, but it's tough to say when they pull the plug on Orgeron. I tend to agree that the AD will get axed first, which buys some time.

Notre Dame wins at least 3, maybe 4 of those. UNC just almost got shut out by GT, NC State and WF are on par with broke [penis] FSU, and USC has played close games only so far. Miami seems tough though. I think Brian Kelly saves his job.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sumlin will for sure be fired.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The UT admin is a completely different set of people this year than the UT admin last year. I am hopeful you are wrong.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

All I'm seeing in here is that UT hires Larry fedora

7. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Sadly, Fedora would be a decent hire for this group.

8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Ed O has a 15 million dollar buyout.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That was stupid. He would have taken the job with probably no buyout at all for the first season.

10. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Nebraska
    Kansas State
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    UCLA
    Missouri
    Ole Miss
    Texas A&M
    Tennessee

Those seem like the most likely power five jobs to open up.

11. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

$12 million, which is still insane.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If money is equal, we are the best job on that list. Doubt we end up with the best hire though.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd put us on top of that heap. Maybe A&M, because of their recruiting base, but I think the Sumlin thing will get very ugly and make them less attractive.

14. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

We just need to end it now and make a great hire. I truly don't understand the waiting one but. First, it gives him a chance to get some cheap wins and create false hope (with some, not me). Second, if you are leaving him in place just to lose more to make it even more obvious to the stubborn ones in power, that is basically endorsing losing. Hardly fair to the players. Third, a few good players get pissed enough, they skip class or get in trouble or just quit. Fourth, you are burning games for OV's. You know, we still need recruits. And these recruits are YouTubing Butt Fumble and Donuts today. Fifth, you give other school a potential opening, as this thread is really addressing, to get the best options first. And finally, end the tension and create some positive movement in the program.

Waiting is dumb! It's dumb. D-U-M-B dumb.

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Nebraska will hire Scott Frost

K-State will hire whoever Snyder recommends

Arizona, ASU, Mizzou and Ole Miss aren't hiring anyone of significance

TAMU is going to be an ugly divorce

UCLA doesn't care enough to get someone

Tennessee is easily the best job

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

UTEP coach Sean Jugler "resigned" today.

First in line for Kelly IMO.

18. TDVol1989

I won't necessarily argue, but I think A&M can offer anything they want. And as the season plays out, Notre Dame or FL could open. If UT muffs the hire, then we'll, you know. But let's not start off by muffing the fire.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think McElwain is safe. Hard to see him losing more than four this year.

20. TDVol1989

If they don't win the East, he will lose cover. Anything could happen