Handing “control” to a college coach????

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Lexvol, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Reading on the interwebs...lots of posts about money vs control. Other than freeing money for staff what exactly would an elite coach want to control?

2. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I've seen admissions mentioned. As well as the compliance office.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This.

5. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Compliance I understand, but in all seriousness it seemed like Lane had plenty of leeway in that category. I always operated under the assumption that admission requirements were set by the conference.

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Minimum requirements are handled by the SEC IIRC

7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I don't know but whatever a coach could potentially have control over, they need to relinquish it.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some schools set tougher requirements than that required by the conference. While some might think that would be the Stanfords of the world, it isn't. It is Tennessee. For some reason.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yes

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

So is this going to be a hangup again?

11. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I would be interested to know how different those are st UT. I know we lost Bruce Irvine to WVA and Orlando Brown to OK due to admission requirements...but dies anyone know of anybody we’ve lost to another conference team for admission reasons?

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Doesn't Tennessee have the highest average test scores for the student body aside from Vanderbilt?
    I have heard this. It kind of surprises me. I mean obviously just based on population we'll beat out anyone in the western conference, but I figured Florida and Georgia were higher.

edit: I am having a deja vu moment. I think someone on here showed me that UGA was higher than Tennessee a couple of years ago

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

some schools give more allowances to kids as far as grades or ACT for enrollment. It doesn't make much sense not to. Give a player a stringent schedule and tutors and keeping the pace is a non issue for most. And yay since we are a little more stringent, we have a great gpa and players graduating and great apr. And play like chemists.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

florida and Georgia are tough. Everyday students getting accepted recently at UT are @ 27-28 on ACT and good gpa's in AP courses. I have a houseful of boys and probably none will qualify for UT.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And that is stupid as ****.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Huh? UT's admission requirements have to do with who is applying, in part. The cut is made in the mid 20's now because otherwise you'd be turning away better IN-STATE students for worse ones.

But with an athletic scholarship, there is no reason to make them meet the same standard. The whole point is that they have a special talent, which there are other precedents for that would waive those kind of requirements.

17. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Letting a coach control compliance seems like a recipe for disaster, though. Granted, I have no clue how any of that actually works or how it's normally done.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

If 70,000 students apply, why wouldn't you take the highest 7,000 or whatever as your class rather than randomly picking or stuffing your school far beyond capacity? Nah, the standards are tough because the demand to go to the flagship is high.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You'd almost need a Sheriff, if you were someone who needed a lot of control.

20. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Bruce Irvin was the result of the SEC math requirement as opposed to a TN requirement IIRC