iPad 3

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by LawVol13, Mar 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Anyone have one? I bought one and really like it.

2. WM

WM Active Member

I have a 2 and there is no good reason to upgrade to a new one. I think Apple is getting to that point of peaking with yearly new purchases . They will have to slow down soon and look to the upgrade system.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yea, this is my first one. I'm sure if I had a 2, I wouldn't have got it, but the resolution is pretty damn impressive.

4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I bet Freak bought two of them.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Might end up getting one, haven't decided. Retina display was the only reason I waited, but at the end of the day, it is a gadget. And I don't need to spend that much on a gadget.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Didn't even know they were out. They drop the price on the 2?

7. fl0at_

Dropped iPad 2 to $399 for the 16 Gig one.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Had the original and upgraded to the new. It's a much better machine. The Verizon 4g is fantastic.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I chose to not get the 4g one simply because of the cost. But, I love the machine.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Would the standard 16gb wifi model be sufficient for me? My use would be basic - managing my email and calendar, some music and videos, hamming it up here, occasionally lookin' at boobs, etc.

11. fl0at_

I don't really see the need for 4G, but I don't travel, and everywhere I go has wifi. If I didn't, it might be different. But as is, wifi is plenty.

I don't really like email on the iPad, but it works. I sync calendar with Google and use that one, that way all mobile devices have the same calendar. And that works well.

I have a 32 gig, but I doubt I'll ever fill it up.

There is a huge difference between the iPad 2 and new iPad. And, as long as you don't put a ton of junk on it, you should be alright with a 16 gig. Worse case, if you start to fill it up, just swap out stuff you don't use anymore for stuff you do use.

I'm not entirely sure why I got 32 gig, but whatever. It isn't a computer, it is a tablet. It isn't like I'll be storing a lot of junk on it. If I put all my music, movies, books and shit on it, I'd have to have the 64 gig version, but I have a MP3 player for music, so that saves me quite a bit of room.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

4G is amazing.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I went with the 4G model because I use it when I travel and it makes a difference. I also use its google mapping when driving because the traffic updates as you drive are money. To use any of that you need the carrier package. Otherwise, I'd stick to the wifi.

As to the size, there is no need whatsoever for the larger and I was stupid to go with the big one. I do keep several movies on it for the kids to watch, so it helps there, but isn't necessary unless I'm bent on HD movies, which are memory beasts.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That's what I got, JT. If you have a lot of stuff you need to store you can just download Dropbox, and put all your stuff there for free and that frees up a lot of space. But, if you're just using it for the things you listed, I'd say the 16 would be perfect for you.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Thanks for the insight guys. Think I'm going to grab an ipad2 in the next week or so. Sounds like there's not much that distinguishes the new one from the 2, so that's probably the route I'll go.

17. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

You should really stop by and compare the two screens before you buy. Spending an extra $100 for the new display would be the easiest upgrade ever, as far as I'm concerned. Text looks amazing on the new one.

18. fl0at_

The resolution was a huge point for me, but the biggest was the battery. Since you can't easily replace a battery in the iPad, I want the best battery possible so it will last longer. Battery in the new iPad is better, so the extra $100 hits both battery and resolution.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's almost always worth it to pay for the newer model. just think of the fact it will be obsolete less quickly.

20. fl0at_

I should have gotten the 16, but I didn't, so no use crying over that. But, had I, it would have offset the price of the case I got for it a bit better. I break things, so I bought an Otterbox case.

Also a good idea to take into account various accessories, as well, though. And even Apple's magnet case thingy is like $40. So... just more for you to agonize over JT.