The Section 119 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Mar 19, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Tennessee was fortunate to even be in the game the way they played in the first 15 minutes. They got completely outplayed and outworked early.
    2. UT doesn't have the depth of talent to survive Jordan McRae pulling a no show. He's got to develop some consistency or Coach Martin has to find a replacement.
    3. Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon both had productive evenings. However, their limitations were also evident. Neither of them are explosive above the rim types.
    4. The officiating was utterly deplorable. I'm shocked Kermit Davis waited that long to pick up a technical. That crew killed the flow of the game.
    5. MTSU hasn't won 27 games with luck. That's a good team. You can't beat them having as poor a night as UT did shooting the ball.
    6. The crowd was fantastic. It would be great to get that level of energy in the building every night.
    7. Yemi Makanjuola is obviously putting in the work necesssary to make himself a player. He's still got lights years to go, but he's a lot closer to an SEC level player than he was in Novemeber. On the other hand, I'll be shocked if Dwight Miller is back next season. If he didn't get minutes tonight, he never will.
    8. Skylar McBee just couldn't get shots down tonight. The last two aren't his fault. Those were desperation heaves.
    9. UT has to find another option at point guard. Trae Golden has played the spot valiantly this season, but you could see the holes in his game at the one tonight. Tennessee would improve in two positions if they could shift him to the wing.
    10. While the end was disappointing, the season as a whole wasn't bad. UT should never act as if an NIT bid is reason for excitement. That said, the progress the Vols made from December to March was laudable. They gave themselves something to build on going forward.

2. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Golden/Fab Harris or Cory Stanton
    McBee/Edwards
    McRae/Richardson
    Maymon/Hall or Nolan
    Stokes/Makanjoula

This is what we're looking at next year I assume. That team has flaws, but has a chance to be pretty solid.

3. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

-I have been very impressed with Yemi during the second half of the year. He battles hard every game, and while it is still obvious his lack of knowledge of the game, his upside is exciting.

-If Richardson can work on that 15ft pull-up jumper, he'd be a good backup for the 2 position.

- That being said, Washpun and Miller canNOT stay on this team. They are just stealing scholarships.

4. ChickenWings

ChickenWings New Member

Other than Stokes having a full offseason and new personnel, what things do you guys think will be significantly better about this team next year?

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Watching this one I got the feeling that the team was probably on borrowed time after tonight anyway.

6. hatvol96

I agree. I told the people I watched the game with that UT appeared to be totally out of gas.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

They looked drained. I am satisfied with the improvements over the season. I do hope Martin can find some help for the roster between now and next season.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Looked like too many didn't really give a damn to me. Jmo. IMO.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

The play that was emblematic (embolic?) for me was when McBee went Kobe on a drive and airballed a turn-around fadeaway. McRae especially came up with equally ridiculous wastes of possession, but there you have it.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think McRae's shooting strategy is to hold the ball in one hand and throw it at the backboard football-style with all his strength.

11. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I was suprised that MTSU didn't double the post sooner, as soon as they did UT hit a wall and didn't score a single point.

Stokes has got to get better at passing out of the double team. Granted, that was a hard double but he holds it too long once doubled, gotta find the open man or any man for that matter.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

McRae went from playing solid ball to absolutely looking like dog shit. I don't know how a guy can be that damn inconsistent.

13. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

McRae played pretty well from the beginning of the season through the Oakland game, then turned to shit until February, and then really turned it on during February, then back to shit again from the SECT on. Mind boggling.

14. Velo Vol

Velo Vol New Member

Such as?

Dude is an enigma. Super athletic, but at times doesn't seem to have any feel for the game.

15. hatvol96

I would assume Edwards is being brought in to challenge for immediate playing time. It doesn't make sense to bring in Juco guys in to sit and learn.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Exactly. McRae either needs to get better or sit the pine.

17. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

You spelled it right and everything.

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I like your question, but I don't know the answer. Anybody want to take a stab?

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I've only got the obvious one, but it's still worth saying: December.

20. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

Maymon
    Golden
    McRea
    Mcbee

Say what you will about Mcbee. His game has come along way through the course of this season.