Top 3: Things I Hate About Jimmy Buffet

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 23, 2011.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

was not actually owned by buffett. but now crappy since outback bought it. i believe there is a margaritaville in vegas.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I like him.

Distantly in Love, Tin Cup Chalice, Lovely Cruise among favorites.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

There is. It's mildly entertaining because of the hot chicks diving into the indoor volcano. That's fun the first 30 minutes, then it's time to get the Hell out and go to a real bar. Did pick up one of the volcano girls when I was out there for one of the Vegas tournaments a few years ago. Tim Floyd was impressed.

4. hatvol96

Tin Cup Chalice is top shelf.

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

while not written by Buffett, "Biloxi" is absolutely fabulous. It's a shame that I forgot it and no one else has mentioned it. It was written by Jesse Winchester, who also wrote "Defying Gravity", but both songs are lyrical masterpieces imo, iyam, jmo.

"Lone Palm" also deserves mention.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  6. hatvol96

Biloxi is one of my best friends' favorite song. It is quality stuff. The Wino and I Know is good stuff, too.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

My hatred cannot be dissuaded.

I shall carry on the fight, if needed, forever.

If necessary, alone.

8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

my fandom (as previously noted, I'm supposedly not a Parrothead and I'm more than ok with it) cannot be dissuaded. Fortunately, I will not have to carry on the plight alone. I can't even find fault with 50 year olds living the Margaritaville lifestyle. They more than likely grew up that way. Or, as Buffett says, they are the people their parents warned them about.

9. volinbham

volinbham Member

For you that love "Biloxi" check out this great cover by the incomparable Ted Hawkins. Then check out more Ted Hawkins. He was a long time Venice Beach street musician that finally got "discovered". Amazing voice.

[video=youtube;gFdiYDzbodM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdiYDzbodM[/video]

10. volinbham

volinbham Member

Another of my favorite Ted Hawkins tunes (I'll stop now)

[video=youtube;fc08w4pqmfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc08w4pqmfk&feature=related[/video]

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

There are two Jimmy Buffetts, the "before the beach" Jimmy Buffett and the "Parrothead" Jimmy Buffett. I am a fan of the "before the beach" Buffett, the man who wrote songs like Livingston's Gone to Texas, Mile High in Denver, Brahma Fear, and so on. Basically every album including and prior to White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean was a masterpiece. (I would argue that A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean is one of the top ten albums ever composed, easily one of the best to come out of the 1970s). Anyway, Buffett in the mid-1970s was college tour singer-songwriter who sang in Brooks Gym and the Civic Coliseum and venues like that. (My uncle claims he saw Jimmy Buffett in the "Cave" at ETSU dining hall, but I have never been able to verify it).

Unfortunately, in the late 1970s people were intoxicated by singles off those albums like Margaritaville, Cheeseburger in Paradise and so on. And while I like Somewhere Over China, Last Mango in Paris and Fruitcakes, by that point Buffett became a "scene" and decent, Jimmy Buffett liking people were swamped by people dressed in shark fins. I wish the worst for Parrotheads.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I have been having an ongoing discussion about Jimmy Buffett at work and wanted to bump this thread for the newbies. And to irritate TennyD a little, I guess.

I'll start with some wisdom: If you have a daughter and haven't sang Little Miss Magic in your head yet, you have failed as a father.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

This

+1

14. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Yeah, I'd rather jack off with glass shards than suffer through another sausage and soggy taco messtival that is a Buffet "concert".

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Does this mean you do or don't like him?

16. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

I can't wait to go back!

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It doesn't bug me that people like his music and/or lifestyle, whatsoever. They're just musically ignorant and/or tasteless deaf-tone hacks that represent all that is not only wrong with music, but society - nay, humanity - as a whole.

If given a choice between erasing either Jimmy Buffet or baseball from ever existing....I'd still search for a way to have both.

I won't beat a dead horse, but just to offer some context: my hatred for liberals, unions, public education, and Bill Maher could be combined and multiplied to any double-digit exponent of your choice - and it still wouldn't come close to besting Buffet or baseball.

I would be for Dooley getting a lifetime contract if such ensured that either of those died when he signed it.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not a true VFL.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Whoa big fella~

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm with Tenny on everything except baseball. Baseball's awesome. That's all I got.