Antonin Scalia

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Mar 20, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I avoid political/policy arguments like a female with crabs and a 70s bush, and this thread is no exception. And so I don't care if you love Scalia or hate him, but the guy is a humblingly good legal writer. I'm not necessarily sure that he is the best ever -- there have been some good ones: Marshall, Jackson, Kozinski is still kicking, etc. -- but nobody has ever accused Scalia of being a hack.

The SCOTUS put out an opinion today and Scalia wrote a dissent that begins with "Let me get this straight..."

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/10-1001.pdf

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Debating that guy is a losing proposition. Only Milton Friedman was better on his toes than Scalia. Malcolm X wasn't half bad either.

I enjoy reading his opinions as well, especially when he is in the minority which seems to be often.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Dissenting opinions by Scalia are classic, but I don't understand half the words he uses.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The guy is an engaging personality, and that is even more evident hearing him in person. I've had the opportunity to hear him lecture once, and it was a terrific experience. Agree with his originalist stance or not, but he is one find mind coupled with a colorful personality.

A few years earlier, I also had the chance to hear Anthony Kennedy speak, and although vastly different in both style and philosophy, he did an excellent job as well.

5. kidbourbon

Yeah, those guys are rarely dumb*. For example, I don't necessarily agree with tons of Justice Breyer's opinions, but I've heard him speak and he is unquestionably a bright dude.

*I do think Clarence Thomas is something below an intellectual heavyweight.

6. kidbourbon

I learned how to use the Em dash from Scalia opinions. The problem with that is that a man can fall in love with the Em dash, and I began to overuse it for a time. I've recently scaled it back quite a bit.

7. kidbourbon

I'd like to see a debate between Clinton and Obama. Both of those guys have mad skeelz on their feet, but if I'm taking bets, I'm setting Clinton as the favorite. We'll put the moneyline at -210.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Clinton would destroy him.

The presser they did together a couple of years back that Clinton just took over was classic.

9. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Clinton would absolutely obliterate Obama in a debate. Clinton is an extremely smart guy. Obama is not. Without a teleprompter feeding him lines, he's actually pretty dull, IMO

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

you really think Obama is solid on his feet? I have yet to see him demonstrate any real ability to think through an issue without his teleprompter. He always defaults back to populist rhetoric when he isn't primed by someone smarter than he is.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Agree with others, Clinton would castrate Obama.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I am a Clinton fan. Can we get him back?

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm now a fan, KB.....thanks.

I'll Rexy some snippets here, as I read it, for those who might not prefer to sift through it:

I like him.

14. kidbourbon

I think Clinton is smarter than Obama. But Obama is definitely a smart guy.

15. kidbourbon

I think he is solid on is feet in the mold of Ronald Reagan.

I'm making this up off the top of my head, but I imagine that going into a debate or event where he is going to have to answer questions, Obama has maybe 5 soundbytes (for lack of a better word) that he wants to work into the response or debate. He is sufficiently prepped to be able to speak intelligently and elaborate on these soundbytes.

So then here is his protocol:
    1. Listen to question
    2. Deliver an answer that is essentially a segue to his soundbyte. But the trick here is to make the answer at least passably responsive. Make the person think you're responding to their question even though you are really just using the answer as a veiled excuse to transition into saying something that you are already prepared to say.
    3. Deliver soundbyte and elaborate.

I think Obama is very good at straddling the line in #2 between responsiveness and redirection to prepared statements. This is what ALL politicians do, but I think Obama does it well.

16. kidbourbon

Np, I like him as well.

Even people that hate him -- and there are some that do -- will freely acknowledge that his writing chops are above reproach.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I would not include Clinton or Obama on a list of skilled debaters. Clinton was personable and good in informal settings, but wasn't exactly a policy wonk. (Still isn't and never was). Obama's goal is to convince everyone how a president can be both bookish and personable. I really think he wanted to redefine the presidency to be a "conversation" between the people and the presidency. Which isn't what I particularly want out of my president but I digress.

Clinton's greatest strength was his ability to get elected. He was a great campaigner; great in one on ones. Clinton had the great fortune of running the first time against not only the worst debater in presidential history but someone who openly despised them in George H.W. Bush.

Obama has some campaign skill too, clearly.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

evidence?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think you seriously underestimate ronald reagan. either that or overestimate obama.

20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Ain't that the truth