Finally Watching The Duke '91-'92 Documentary...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hatvol96, Mar 20, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'm reminded that I've always thought that, if I had to win one big game, I'd take the 1992 Duke team against anyone.

2. hatvol96

Also, nobody in the history of college basketball has ever played the role of villain better than Christian Laettner.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

He made Jalen Rose a believer. Laettner's still a villain from everything I know about him.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

You might think differently if Pitino had put a man on the ball.

They were a great team, but I'd take two NCAA runner-up teams over them -- you can guess which ones -- and I'd also take '96 Kentucky. And in a couple weeks, I may add this UK team to that list.

5. kidbourbon

What do you know about him?

6. kidbourbon

Is this an ESPN docu? I haven't seen anything about it if so.

7. hatvol96

One of those teams is an NCAA runnerup specifically because they couldn't beat Duke after they added Grant Hill.

8. hatvol96

truTV.

9. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

I read an an old NY Times article online recently about the recruitment of Kenny Anderson. Bobby Hurley was ready to sign early with UNC, but Smith refused to back away from the recruitment of Anderson even if Hurley signed. Smith ended up riding King Rice for the next two years.

Hurley was the only reason i enjoyed watching Duke basketball at that time.

10. kidbourbon

Greg Anthony fouling out with four minutes to go and a three point lead also nicely fits after your "because".

They win a 7 game series 4-1. Laettner's shooting regresses back to the mean after shooting 65% in the first game, and the horrible things that Larry Johnson keeps saying about his mother give him nightmares for years to come.

11. kidbourbon

I disliked him at the time, but he (Hurley) was an excellent player.

12. hatvol96

Ask UCONN and Kentucky about expecting Christian Laettner's shooting to "regress to the mean" in the NCAA Tournament.

13. hatvol96

Are you talking about the Larry Johnson who choked a free throw, was too big a coward to take the three that could have won the game, then went on to master the art of coming up small in big games in the NBA? Yeah, I want on my side in tough battles.

14. kidbourbon

Yeah, I believe there was only one guy named Larry Johnson on the court that evening. He was the one who was the best basketball player on the court. Indeed, he was the best player in college basketball, and had been for the previous two seasons. He was the #1 pick in the 1991 draft to the lowly Charlotte Hornets, as you may recall. And he was a fine NBA player. The Hornets improved a great deal after they acquired LJ. But they weren't good enough for him to have enough time and opportunity to master the art of coming up small in big games. So perhaps on that point, you are thinking about a different Larry Johnson. I'm sure we can get to the bottom of things.

I'm glad that you don't want LJ on your side in tough battles. Or at least I would be glad if we were to go back in time to that day in 1991, throw all the players together, and then draft our own teams and coach the game between the teams we just drafted. If you got the #1 pick and didn't take LJ, I would very appreciative of that gesture. I'd be willing to enter into a friendly wager on the outcome of that game, if you would have been so inclined.

15. kidbourbon

Ask Laettner about his shooting in the 1990 final.

16. hatvol96

The Hornets had plenty of playoff games to suck in. That's why Zo Mourning, among others, demanded to be traded from a franchise stupid enough to pay maximum money to a midget power forward. Also, Larry Johnson has never seen the day he's a better basketball player than a healthy Grant Hill.

17. kidbourbon

Ask anyone who hasn't had a lobotomy if UCONN or UK were in the same stratosphere as Vegas in 1991. UCONN especially.

18. kidbourbon

You're gonna draft the 18 year old Grant Hill over LJ? No, seriously, what if the game was for money.

19. hatvol96

I'm big on guys with basketball intelligence and courage. Johnson had neither. That's why an alleged national player gets beaten twice defensively by Brian Davis, fails to snare a missed free throw by Duke from the inside position, misses a free throw of his own, and then decides a running 28 footer by Anderson Hunt is a better shot than him taking an open 19 footer, all in the final 2 minutes of a Final Four game. That collection of brilliance is why his team lost. No player of note has ever been more pathetic at the end of a close Final Four game.

20. kidbourbon

Fred Brown

[video=youtube;-suuy_tgOjo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suuy_tgOjo[/video]