Mathematics

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 7, 2017.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Who here enjoys mathematics? I know a lot of people are spooked by it, think it is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo and that it is just too hard to understand.

I have always enjoyed math (and this is not to be confused with arithmetic) and is the main reason I got into the computer field. In fact I have been a nerd for this stuff since I was a kid.

The history of mathematics is also fascinating, from the early false idea that all numbers could be seen as ratios (fractions to you and me) to modern Complex numbers and non-Euclidean Hyperbolic Geometry.

So, any other math nerds on here (I imagine TT will know a lot of mathematics, but doesn't make him a math nerd)?

2. NorrisAlan

And as a caveat, if you loathe math (NYY says he would rather do meth than math), why do you not like it?

3. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

I'd rather do math than meth but I'd also prefer to jump out of a tree than off a cliff.

Edit: I'd rather jump out of tree than read a thread arguing about math. No sure how to ignore a thread so I'll probably break a leg. #soon.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    A-Smith likes this.
  4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I do not love math in general. I do really enjoy statistics and probability though. I think baseball is the main thing that got me liking math at a young age. I probably liked it better than most of my peers in school, but that's not saying much.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

[​IMG]

justingroves likes this.
  6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I enjoy boolean logic and concrete math. I had the chance to get a double major in math when I was in college. Was 2 classes short, they were both math theory classes.

7. NorrisAlan

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I enjoy math - but I've never been fascinated by it. Closest I got was around 2004 when I was interested in chaos and fractals.

I far from excel at it. I've been around some great math minds - I can't even carry their jock strap. But in general I can derive the relationships I need to and can visualize most of the concepts I need to. Never had enough math to get into graph theory and the like. So basically calculus / difeq is my ceiling. Included in that is prob and stats, but I self taught most of that in grad school when I really started getting into quantum theory and statistical mechanics.

dc4utvols likes this.
  9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Math minds in jock straps?

Mathletes.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Hi, guys.

Just wanted to pop in and say [uck fay] this stupid ass thread.

Gotta run. Have a great one!

utvol0427 likes this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Liked up through calculus and didn’t really care much for it after that.

justingroves likes this.
  12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Definitely mathletes. Nailed it.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Pretty much destroyed geometry in high school. I could show up the day of a test, do all of my homework that morning over the previous 2+ weeks or so, and ace the test - 100%. I wouldnt miss shit. By far my greatest academic high school moment. By a wide wide margin. My second best class was social life.

I couldn’t do anything else, which doesn’t make much sense, but I hated Algebra and Calculus.

Once I got to college, my first question was what major required the least math and science.

Now you can just do it all on a calculator or google it.

14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Is this the place where the language arts party is going down?

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Hell, I didn't know POTUS was a degree.

17. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I math pretty hard. Won the Sullivan County Math Bowl one year. Yeah, kind of a big deal.

18. NorrisAlan

I have always believed there are two kinds of people in the world:

Math People
    Language People (I always called them "English People" but that is a disservice to those that speak other languages)

I love to read, but I never understood poetry or the dissection of prose. Did I enjoy the story? That was enough for me. But some people really get into the words themselves. Not me.

Now, logic and mathematics? I loved it, and even though I received my Bachelor's in Mathematics, I wish I had done more in the field. Especially in non-Euclidean geometry. That stuff fascinates me.

gcbvol likes this.
  19. gcbvol

Two kinds of people in this world
    Winners, losers
    I lost my power in this world
    'Cause I did not use it

20. gcbvol

I completely agree. In my experience folks are naturally inclined to mathematics or the language arts, but rarely both.