Best Players Who Never Won the Big One

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Mar 22, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

This is an especially interesting topic for team sports -- and I urge you to take the thread in that direction -- but I am going to start the show here with the best tennis player who never won a major.

He made it to #1 in the world and he made it to the finals in a major before his career fizzled out early due to various injuries. He remains the most fluid tennis player I have ever seen. They say Federer makes it look easy, but nobody made it look easier and more effortless than Marcelo Rios.

[video=youtube;ONznVs_KN8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONznVs_KN8Y[/video]

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'll throw out Colin Montgomerie. I'd say most would consider him the best golfer to never win a major. Lee Westwood is certainly putting together a similar resume. The strange thing about Monty and Westwood, like pre-'04 Phil, is that both won a ton of tournaments and have also played really well in majors, even good enough to win. Just never worked out. I still think Westwood could easily win one. He has played really well the last few years in majors.

3. hallowed_hill

Baseball-Ted Williams (i'll crown him as the #1 overall as well)
    Football-Marino
    Basketball-Malone

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Marino is an obvious one.

Barry Sanders

5. tankervol

tankervol Member

Baseball - Ken Griffey Jr
    Basketball - LeBron James (I think he will eventually win one, but for now deserves a nomination)
    Football - Eric Dickerson

Honorable Mention: Ty Cobb, Barry Bonds, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, Warren Moon, Gayle Sayers

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

My football vote would go to Marino, and I'd add Patrick Ewing to your honorable mentions.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Interesting how barkley gets a pass by the media, while marino and ewing are seen as choke artists.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Quick, gut reaction:

Football: Dan Marino Barry Sanders
    Baseball: Barry Bonds, Ted Williams
    Hoops: Elgin Baylor, Charles Barkley
    Pro Wrestling: Curt Hennig, Scott Hall

9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Curt Henning.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Arn Anderson.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Henning was the AWA world champ.

12. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Dave from "Dan & Dave."

13. chavisut

I remember reading that somewhere now. Being a 90's kid that was before my time. Still don't understand how he never held the title in WWF or WCW.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Law, I think we would be good buds. Love all the Horsemen! We need to grab a beer sometime....no homo:)

Oh and Marino

15. JayVols

WCW was too busy promoting shit wrestlers that appealed to kids like Sting.

16. chavisut

I admit I loved some of those shit wrestlers at the time. Sting included.

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

At that stage of the AWA, it's tough to consider their world title "the big one."

18. JayVols

The only semi-interesting Sting angle was The Crow plot. And they dragged that out waaay too long. I was in my 20's then and beyond the cutesy face stage. I'll admit that Sting wasn't as bad as John Cena. However, nothing can suck as bad as Cena, imo jmo gbo!

19. hallowed_hill

Thread has taken an unfortunate turn.

20. chavisut

I think I was in grade school when that was goin down.