Our Fanbase & VN

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Hoss Diesel, Mar 22, 2012.

?

Are the VN forums representative of our fan base?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Hoss Diesel

Hoss Diesel New Member

I was going to post a thread with a different tone, but then I realized I wanted to get some opinion on a sort of precursor question.

Do you think that the forums on VN are representative of our fanbase? Why or why not?

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think most of the folks that fill the stadium on Saturday are well-meaning and good people who love the Vols. But I'm not sure most can discuss football or hoops at anything more than a cursory level. When I had season tickets and sat around some of the same people from week to week this becomes pretty obvious.

So I think VN is a pretty accurate portrayal of the fanbase generally. A minority who have nuanced and reasonable arguments and a lot of plain old "fans" whose analysis can't hold up to a lot of scrutiny.

But I think this is true of most fanbases, by the way.

3. Hoss Diesel

Hoss Diesel New Member

What I've noticed more is just how generally simple minded, redneck, & hardcore Christian-conservative they are. I move around the country, and have stopped defending our fan base from being labeled rednecks. Because they are.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'd say the same thing about Red Sox or Eagles fans, minus the Christianity.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or Penn State and Ohio State fans.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You have also described Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss and Georgia's fanbase.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Americans, in general, seem less than bright, and more often than not.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

VN is also a testament to how difficult it is for some people to overcome bias.

9. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Not at all. Message boards are only a fraction of the fan base, and those who join and participate are definitely not the same type of "casual fan"

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not really, there is no accountability as it is an anonymous message board and often times the lowest denominator is protected on volnation. This leads to a more vocal closed minded community and creates a herd mentality.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I agree with this. While our average fan will not be mistaken for a nobel laureate, my experience with 'real' people--even some that aren't that bright--tells me that most of our fanbase is more reasonable than the nonsense over there.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Ohio State may have the one fan base with a message board contingent that is more sane and generally smarter than the average fan.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've never been on the OSU boards

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This board is still in its infancy, but it has the foundation to be built around logical and reasonable debate here.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd change that to humans. When i travel i don't notice a lot of bright people outside this country either.

16. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Better watch your damn tone:cool:

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Eagles? I meant to say Cowboys. Better?

18. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

yeah......you just tugged on my heart strings

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I haven't seen too much, but I'm a member of one which I don't post on too much, and I've browsed some others in the past.

They're not necessarily brilliant on the boards, but from what I've seen, they aren't as delusional as many of the actual fans. If I had to guess, I would say that a good amount of the Buckeye fans that post on message boards do so because they are unable to have a reasonable discussion with typical fans.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I agree, and I hope it stays that way.