Auto Restoration?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Dec 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Thinking about tackling a '58 GMC truck - small block Chevy, wood bed, body needs lots of work, as does the interior.

Anyone have any experience doing this sort of thing?

Advice / suggestions welcomed.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If you can't do most of the work, it's a money pit

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I rebuilt the motor and did some minor body work on a 79 Ford Bronco in high school.

It made me realize I didn't want to be a mechanic

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I've got a '69 T-top 350 Vette in the garage, in a thousand pieces. It has been that way for 3 years, with no signs of change.

Time consuming, expensive to "part match" and nobody will buy it for the $60k you think.

5. Tenacious D

It runs, and is road worthy (I'd just want to do the power brake upgrade before driving it everyday).

I plan to do most of the work myself - and learn as I go. Which has pretty much been my plan for most things, and which has served me well, eventually, in some way (though sometimes in those which were entirely unintended).

The body needs several areas of rust replaced (cut out, new plate torched in - but I can mig, so no sweat there), bondo on some dents (nothing larger than 4-5") and a complete sanding / paint job. The interior would need to go down to metal, but the cab and floor pans are in good shape, otherwise.

New windows, weatherstripping, seat, dash, gauges - the works are needed inside.

I can buy it for $1500 or so - but to restore it (give it to someone to do) - i'd say it would cost $10-12k, easy. Once completely restored, you'd be looking at $25k, easy, but id be looking to keep it.

6. Tenacious D

Test

7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I have a 67 Chevy Truck that I'm saving to do at a latter date.

8. Tenacious D

You're braver than I am. I have just put this out of the way til a later date, when I've got more time and energy to devote to it.'

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Money plays a lot in my doing it at a later date because I want to do a full body off restoration. I've begged my family for years to write that show that had Foose on it to get it fixed by them. Figured it would be cheaper that way!

10. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Foose does great work. My luck, I would want Foose to do it and West Coast Customs would get they hands on it and I'd have TV's for center caps.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

haha, that is almost fact.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I had a 79 Ford Bronco that I pieced together in high school. I actually had one for parts and one I drove.

I will eventually get another one and do it right.

13. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Here is my project.

j IMG_0023.jpg