If we beat Florida this year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by WM, Mar 24, 2012.

1. WM

WM Active Member

Will it be in bad taste to storm the field, attempt to tear down the goalposts ala 1998?
    For all we have been through as a program and the current streak I'm leaning towards no.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I just want something good to happen this season. If they were to beat Florida the fans can knock down the Torchbearer, flip cars and burn couches for all I care. It's desperation time.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

In 2004, there were 3 guys that got over the wall on to the field. I was hell bent on jumping out there too until I saw the police faceplant those 3 into the grass. The rest of the student section pussed out too.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hold your son while you tear down the goal post. They'd never drop a guy with a kid, would they?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'll have to buy one of those vest things from The Hangover

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I was in the upper deck for the '98 game. Prior to the game, there were 5-6 dipshit Florida fans standing on the strip, screaming about "owning us" and they had a stuffed Smokey dog on a rope, so that as cars drove by, they'd throw it off of the curb and let it getvran over. One of my buddies said something about them being "[uck fay]tards", which they heard. As we closed the gap between us, two cops told us to walk around through the parking lot, and told them Gator fans to shut their mouths. As we're walking off, they kept mouthing off, telling us to "enjoy the game, boys!"

I was so nervous that I threw up both before the game and at halftime.

It never once occurred to me that if they missed that kick that we'd win. I was so happy that we held them despite only getting a FG ourselves, and it was such a chip shot compared to Hall's...it never entered my mind that we'd win on a miss, not for a second.

I was sitting almost parallel to the goal post where FL missed the kick. From that angle, I couldn't tell if the kick went through or not, but just remember that fraction of a second when the strip of fans right behind the left goal post erupted....like the fuse on a big-assed explosion of thunderous cheering and bedlam.

I was there with four other guys, one of them was my ride. I don't remember speaking to them, nor even looking at them. Running through the concourse was a total blur. I remember getting right to the edge of the wall to the field, and seeing police officers trying to keep some woman from getting trampled by people jumping off the wall. Myself and probably 25K of my new friends jumped anyway.

Once on the field, I recall seeing some guy grabbing a handful of turf...and the next second a cop smash his face into it, trying to stop him. I decided not to grab any turf somewhere around that moment. I'm just running around, with no idea what the hell I was doing, or supposed to be doing - I just knew I had to be THERE.

I don't recall seeing any players from either team, but I remember seeing the Florida trainers literally grabbing anything that they could get their hands on from their sideline and throwing it in these gigantic boxes. I saw an orange helmet lying on the ground, like someone had just dropped it and walked off. I made a beeline to it, in a dead sprint, weaving amongst the crowd, never taking my eyes off it. Some Florida equipment manager (I assume, or some Florida staffer) grabbed it and tried to throw it into a box when a Tennessee fan grabbed at it. A cop (KPD or UTPD) pulled the Tennessee kid away, and I decided against making a second attempt at it. I did grab a white Gatorade towel, without incident.

I remember seeing some shirtless guy with the long-since destroyed goal post camera sitting atop his shoulder - obviously inebriated - and screaming, "Look out! Look out! I'm on LIVE! I'm on LIVE!" as he wobbled around "shooting the action".

Soon thereafter, we were all left alone on the field, and this sort of surreal calm (it wasn't a library, but calm, comparatively speaking) kind of unexpectantly came over the field, and someone noticed that Florida band was still sitting in the stands, ostensibly, for their safety, watching this spectacle unfold. In that moment, people began to walk toward their direction doing to Gator chomp. Suddenly, and completely unprompted, either by our band or anyone else ...25k (that's a guess) Tennessee fans stood facing the Florida band and serenaded them with an eerily harmonized and nearly perfect version of a two-versed Rocky Top. Twice.

I don't know what heaven might be like, but it will damn sure have to beat that moment.

I recall "helping" (there were so many people holding it that no one person likely felt more than a pound of its weight) walk the goal posts behind the library and up toward the strip. As we approached the intersection, we notice that there is a cop up there directing traffic. As we approached, he stopped all four sides, allowing us to continue onto the strip without so much as a half-step. We turned left and walked right down the middle of the strip, in between cars caught in traffic - and they began to cheer and leaned out the windows to slap us fives, or laid on their horns. We got down to the end of the strip, and some guy walked out and said "Free beer for everyone of you'll bring that in here!". The goal post made an abrupt turn toward the direction he was pointing.

I didn't go in, and just started walking back toward the stadium. I got about to Krystal when I noticed 5-6 shirtless guys who appeared to be lost, huddled together and looking equal parts frightened and confused. I quickly realized that it was the same bunch of [uck fay]tards from earlier, and the [ussies pay] had taken off their Gator shirts and hats, ostensibly, as a result of abstract terror and overwhelming shame. Many other fans recognized them as well, and sort of had them semi-surrounded and were giving them hell, cheering and laughing. As I got directly beside them, they noticed me, and I paused to ask, "Did you enjoy the game?". They did not respond, and simply turned away toward others who were continuing to heckle them.

I wouldn't trade being at that game for another national championship. Or ten. Barring getting married or having a kid...that ranks way up the list of things I've experienced.

A-Smith likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

awesome story. I hope i get to have a UT experience like this someday.

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The goalposts should only come down for Alabama.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ayers hall is going down.

10. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I hope we do beat them. When is the last time we had a big time win. 01 or 04 Florida? I'll hang up and listen.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I agree with this, wholeheartedly.

Bama would be worth it, but not Florida.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I was at the 1985 Vandy game where we clinched the SEC title and Sugar Bowl birth against Miami. 5lb bags of sugar (in the out of bounds area of the south endzone) and sugar cubes were being thrown on the field in the final minutes. Even though I was just a teenager, I helped bring down the posts to celebrate the championship. We weren't just overreacting to kicking the shit out of Vandy 30-0 which btw is more indicative to kicking the shit out of someone than an overtime win. Equating kicking the shit out of Vandy to having to go into overtime to beat them is Dooley's schtick.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was there. Was so high up, I had an excellent view of that as well and agreed with my esteemed classmates' decision to collectively puss out. If I had known what the future held, I would have gladly slammed my own face into that sweet turf of victory.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

For the record, I'd rather tar and feather Albert the Gator.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That would be awesome!

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

If we beat Florida this year...

[​IMG]

17. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

If we have to ask and have discussion about it, it's in bad taste imo. Not against tearing goalposts down, but only on the most special of occasion. Beating a team that went 7-6 last year shouldn't qualify.

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Insert Little_Giants_dance_post_firstdown.gif

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

This has to happen now.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I need the vest and I'll probably need a divorce lawyer