Contest Results for California Pick'Em.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Mar 25, 2012.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

We almost had to go to a tie breaker today, but Snakeonia edged out The Dooz by one point for our closest contest so far. Congrats to Snakeonia for this weeks win.

1. Snakeonia - 183
    2. The Dooz - 182
    3. volfanbill - 166
    4. MaconVol - 163
    5. BeecherVol - 162
    6. CardinalVol - 159
    t. 10SEVol - 159
    8. DownNDirty - 158
    9. volnbama - 157
    10 rbroyles - 154
    11. Volfanjo - 150
    12. ncmedicman - 148
    13. CitrusCo.vol - 147
    14. NYYVol - 146
    15. JayVols - 145
    t. SetVol - 145
    17. justingroves - 140
    18. theonlyrooster - 131
    19. hatvol96 - 120

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The racing at California sucks. That race was terrible. I am glad I DVR races. I watched the whole race at triple speed. Didn't miss a thing. This long time fan is about at the end of the line with this shit. Boring cars, boring personalities, boring tracks, boring product. Big Bill France and Bill France, Jr are spinning in their graves. Sunday golf viewing is starting to look appealing. Smh.

Btw, congrats Snake.

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I think a lot of people share your sentiment Jay. I am holding out hope that Jr. will start winning again, but your right, in a lot of ways, it sucks right now.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The only way I see it changing is for the fans to stop going to races. That's happening. I live 30 minutes from Bristol. I have turned down FREE tickets to both spring and fall races there the last 3-4 years. I won't spend gas money or waste my time going. Again 30 minute drive- no hotel, no food, I just have to buy gas and spend my time. The next step is to stop watching on TV. The last race I attended I worked as an usher (softball team fundraiser). The most enjoyable part of that race was screwing with the obnoxious drunks by sending them a few sections over from their actual seats.... I left the good drunks alone. I just messed with the assholes.

The prim and proper corporate nature has killed any hint of personalities. I don't like Kyle Busch, but I respected him for having some emotion. Now it seems even he has been neutered. I know they aren't coming back, but I long for the days where sponsors wanted a tough rugged sum[itch bay] as their driver. I want the Winston Cup back. I want to see Levi Garrett sponsorship, or Wrangler, Skoal, Hooters, GM Goodwrench, Kodiak, and STP. I want the damn 'Hollywood Hotel' to burn to the [uck fay]ing ground and Wally Dallenbach's never was know-it-all ass fired. Give me Benny Parsons or Buddy Baker over Mike Joy and 99% of the other announcers any day. I want to spend Labor Day in Darlington watching a race not that dog turd of a track in California. I want more diverse race tracks. You know, the ones that you can tell which track it is by the size and shape? The only way to tell a bunch of
    the cookie cutter tracks apart today is by reading the track's name that's painted on the wall. I want to see racing on 'The Track too Tough to Tame' not 15 1.5 milers that have no soul. I want passion not corporate figureheads. I want the drivers to be able to say," that sum[itch bay] wrecked me today, but he better be looking over his shoulder because I'll wreck his ass next week" without NASCAR's etiquette police fining them and putting them on probation. The governing body has turned a bunch of men that had balls the size of grapefruits into a bunch of [ussies pay]. NASCAR racing is in it's death throes, and the people that are running it are the ones that have killed it. /end rant- at least I got that off my chest. I have a meeting with Kevin Triplett this Saturday. If I get the chance, I'll show him this and the other posts from the others that are fed up. It won't help, but I'll feel better.

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I completely agree. Let him know what you think. I am in the same camp as you.

6. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

1st top ten of the season. Nice to have a good car and finish strong

7. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

agreed about the racing being terrible today. at one point Jr was 5th, but 20 seconds behind smoke. what's the fun in that?

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

not really sure what people expected out of today. once it became obvious (as in when the race started) they were racing to halfway there was no reason to believe anything about the race would be exciting. i'd bet not a single driver wanted to hang around on the west coast until monday afternoon, and you know the teams didn't. today was a write off. everybody mailed it in.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Would the Nascar brass be smart enough to go back to some of the old ways if they end up realizing that is what people want? I keep on making the comparison between Nascar and WWE. In my eyes, Dale Jr not winning equates with Stone Cold and the Rock leaving, nobody gives a rats ass about either sport without those guys in it and successful.

10. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

But if you think about it, expecting to only go halfway should have resulted in a fast forwarded race with better racing since there was not the usual "cruising time". It does make you think it was a planned deal.

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

California tidbits: Highest possible score - 224

1. T. Stewart
    2. Ky Busch
    3. M. Truex, Jr
    4. Ku Busch
    5. C. Mears
    6. A. Almirilo

Most picked driver - Ruetimann, 11picks; Martin, 10; Johnson, 10
    Most picked to win - Ky Busch 6, Johnson 5
    Most surprising - Number picking Stewart to win 0