Wide Receiver University

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Mar 25, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

How did this moniker arise? When did it arise? Who coined it?

Talk. Go.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not sure. Are we the only ones who claim it? I feel like I hear that term of "insert position" university all the time with big schools.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The name Wide Receiver U was in circulation by the time I started seriously watching the Vols in the late 1980s. I believe it came about from the early 80s with guys like Tim McGee and Wilie Gault and later Anthony Morgan, Alvin Harper and Carl Pickens. I don't know if Kippy Brown coined the term but he was part and parcel to it. Draft analysts used to use the term frequently.

If you go back to Larry Seivers and Stanley Morgan WRU would go back even further. The elder statesmen can fill in the gaps.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I think that pretty well covers it. Tennessee used the term "Wide Receiver U" while on the recruiting trail in the late 80s early 90s pointing out WRs that were drafted high. Another example is Anthony Miller who was the 15th overall pick in 1988. Even though these guys weren't successful on the next level Clyde Duncan and Lenny Taylor were drafted in 1984.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Good info.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

My freshman year we played Hawaii in Hawaii. At one point in the game, Stanley Morgan ran out of his shoe, then out of his sock. I have never seen anyone ever run out of their sock. It probably went about 30' into the air. You could even see it on the tape. Stanley was a very fast human being!

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've never heard of such a thing. That is pretty wild.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

[MENTION=161]Oldvol75[/MENTION] needs to tell more stories, preferably about Johnny Majors or bar fights, or bar fights involving Johnny Majors.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Having a guy like Condredge winging it around helped it out too.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Agreed

11. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I started with Battle and we only drank milk then! Majors different story!

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Was that game played at the current stadium in Hawaii or did you guys have the luxury of playing at the old field that was more known for rats and cockroaches than football?

13. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

I always love Johnny stories myself. He was half lit the night he came to my buddies house in 84 to meet his parents.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I saw someone run out of their sock once. Was pretty strange.