2012 NBA Draft -- Prospects

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Feb 1, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I swear on all things sacred that, as of typing this post, I have not looked at any mock drafts or draft boards. But just based on my own eyeball test, Anthony Davis has has has to be the #1 pick in the 2012 NBA draft, right? Dude is just on a different level.

I heard lots of chatter about Drummond being a top prospect before and after we played against UConn, but again just using the eyeball test he falls well short of Davis.

Kidd-Gilchrist has to be considered a top prospect as well. Man, UK is loaded this year.

Speaking of loaded, Baylor is pretty damn loaded as well. Perry Jones will be a good NBA player.

Jared Sullinger also has to be considered a top 5 prospect. I better be careful, or I will end up with more than 5 top 5 prospects. Aside: it just dawned on me that Jarnell Stokes has a frame comparable to Jared Sullinger.Anyone care to comment on the similarities, if any, between Stokes' game and Sullinger's game?

I'm sure UNC has at least two first-rounders.

So those are some of the obvious choices from some of the best college teams. The low hanging fruit, if you will.

Discuss other prospects or just generally discuss how much you wish you were as cool as kidbourbon. Go.

2. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I think Davis will be a defensive game changer.

I really like Perry Jones but i could see him being like Anthony Randolph.

Austin Rivers looks like a 6th man

Sullinger is a beast with his back to the basket, reminds me of Al Jefferson

3. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I think Kentucky should have two of the top three picks in the draft (with Drummond being the other).

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fear the Brow. That guy made a deal with the devil to be ugly as sin and but be the best defender on any given court.

5. NashVol11

Everyone describes Perry Jones as someone who will be better once he's in the NBA, but I think that label more accurately fits Brad Beal.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Anyone else think that Davis has some major bust potential? Dude is rail thin, and any big man in the NBA worth his salt should be able to puch him around.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Doesn't have the offensive game that translates to NBA. He essentially gets his rep by being a weakside shot blocker. I'd be concerned about him guarding his position. I don't think he come close to guarding elite 4s and couldn't even begin to think about guarding 5s in the League.

8. GahLee

I've heard that he was only 6'2" as of two years ago, if that is the case he is still growing into his body, even if it were true I can't imagine him adding anough weight to be worthy of a number one pick. It's not like he has a skill set of a Kevin Durant ( first player that comes to mind as far as body type ).

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree. He's an elite weak side shot blocker; that's the only thing he does extremely well. So, it works well if he's on a team where he can basically just do that and rebound. In other words, he'd fit in well with the Miami Heat and basically no one else.

10. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Perry Jones is a dog. I wouldn't take him anywhere in the first round.

11. hatvol96

People said exactly the same thing about Marcus Camby.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

When I watched him I also saw a guy who handles the ball and shoots it fairly well for a guy his size and age...I guess what I'm saying is I see a lot of room for offensive development to go along with his shot-blocking ability. Not saying he's going to lead the NBA in scoring. Just think he's got a lot more upside than you're giving him credit for.

13. GahLee

If that is the best example out there then I firmly stand by my thoughts.

14. hatvol96

Yeah, Camby has had such an awful NBA career.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

For real. Not sure how you knock a career double-double and a defensive player of the year. Pretty sure he currently leads the NBA in RP48 too.

16. NashVol11

I try to avoid watching Baylor, but he doesn't strike me as a very mentally tough character.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'd like to see Anthony Davis in a Bobcats uniform. Him and Biyombo in at the same time would be interesting.

18. kidbourbon

I can't believe I just read that.

19. kidbourbon

I agree with this, and I also think hat's Camby comparison is about the best we're gonna come up with. Which means he is definitely worth the #1 pick.

20. GahLee

Whole lot of love for a guy who could barely stay on the court long enough to show that he is as inefficent scoring the ball as any 7 footer you'll ever see, shooting a horrendous 46% for his career. He was a good rebounder and defender for a number of years but is that worth a number one pick?

I think if you were to tell whatever team wins the moronic NBA draft lottery that his career will be an exact replica of Marcus Camby, they would probably take MKG and wish Davis luck.