Dodgers Sell for $2 Billion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Mar 28, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's 2,000,000,000.

Maybe it's because they are west coast and other than catching Scully on radio I never keep up with them, but the fact they sold for $500M more than ManU blows my mind and really makes me wonder how much the Yankees would sell for.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm disappointed they rejected my offer of $25, my old Xbox, and a handful of games.

The Dodgers are a big-time brand though. I was a little surprised at the size of the figure, but not completely.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Just read that Steinbrenner's group bought the Yankees in 73 for 8.7 million. I'd say it was a good investment.

Of course Wikipedia didn't include it also cost his soul.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no way even remotely justified by the revenues of the franchise, but that doesn't seem to matter.

5. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Frank McCourt says, "Who's laughing now, [itch bay]es?"

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I hope the new owners put a great product on the field. Baseball needs the Dodgers to be relevant again.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes i'd hope the agreement has some sort of expectation that they'd spend some money. mccourt was running it on bare minimum

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

If they want to make their money back, they had better field a team that can make some noise.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well i think mccourt and others have proven that you don't need to win to sell you team for a profit. though there is no question a good team would generate a lot of money. even in crappy years the dodgers used to be in teh top-5 in the league in attendance.

10. CardinalVol

If the Dodgers are led by the right group and put a product on the field, they are the second biggest item in baseball, no questions asked. Boston and Anaheim can both go f-themselves.

I'm interested in what they are going to do with the TV deal. Bid it out or start their own network. And rumblings out there [MENTION=14]droski[/MENTION]?

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

bet they start their own network. no reason not to really. i have no inside info though.

12. CardinalVol

Serious question -

If the Dodgers ever became dominant again, would the Angels fans pretty much jump ship in a heartbeat? I tend to think most of them are Angels fans becuase they are waiting for the Dodgers to actually be good then will jump back in a heartbeat.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

growing up i never knew an angels fan. everyone was a dodgers fan. hell i remember they did a poll in SAN DIEGO and there were a higher % of dodgers fans than padres fans. but times have changed and most young people in orange county are angel fans. but there are a lot of dodger fans, myself included, that would strongly support a good team. also the dodgers completely dominate the hispanic market. i don't think outsiders realize how much mccourt has made people stay away. who wants to support an owner who is constantly screwing the fans, milking every dime out of them, and yet spending no money?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  14. CardinalVol

Interesting on the Hispanics. I had no clue about that, although I did understand the part of McCourt doing everything he could to drive fans away it seemed.

I guess part of the reason of the Angels going after Pujols so hard was probably to tap into that market segment too.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the dodgers have had a spanish brodcaster for like 30 years. they were the first sports franchise in los angeles to emprace that market by at least a decade and it's paid big dividends. i'd be willing to bet there are a higher % of hispanics at a dodger games than any other sports franchise in the country. and not all of that is demographics.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

How much is the real estate in Chavez Ravine alone worth? I don't see this as a bad purchase at all.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's not the greatest area surrounding it and there is no existing infrastructure. people have been trying to develop that land unsuccessfully for 50 years and i've heard about it since i was a child, so i'm not convinced it will get done soon. i believe they valued it at $200 mil when they bought it, but the real value is the tv deal. but i've done some franchise valuations and the majority of the investment return worked into the numbers comes from the expectation that franchises constantly sell for more than they did before. almost ponzi scheme esque. i.e. if i sell my $1 bill to you for $2 than it's a good investment even if it's only worth $1. it's an ego purchase and therefore traditional valuation techniques don't work.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The areas where Magic put movie theaters weren't the greatest and lacked quality infrastructure. That turned out alright.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well i mean it doesnt' have sewers, electricity, things of that variety. but yes the areas surrounding the land are similar to where the magic theaters are.