Rise of Skywalker with spoilers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 14, 2017.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Was growing concerned for first 45 minutes but it picked up and i really enjoyed it. Have a new favorite fight scene. Enjoyed the twists.

2. CardinalVol

Things i liked

1. The fight scene
    2. The general twists all the way through, never knowing who was going where
    3. New characters
    4. Incorporating hoth
    5. The bombers
    6. Yoda
    7. Kylo going legit dark
    8. The kylo and hux jockeying
    9. That Rey is basically a nobody (not convinced that wasn't a lie though)
    10. Luke not being perfect and struggling and failing
    11. Poe not being perfect

Things i didn't like

1. Leia surviving the attack
    2. The connection between rey and kylo if they are not connected at all
    3. How Maz was incorporated
    4. Porgs
    5. No snoke backstory

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Best since Empire. There's no such thing as a perfect movie, but that's the best run at it in a sci-fi movie in a long time. Rian Johnson [uck fay]ing nailed it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. CardinalVol

Yeah. Agreed. Just had to unload that so I could sleep.

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I would have liked to see more Snoke backstory, but I'm not wholly opposed to the way they did it.

Both films have conveyed the sense that the baddies are all super-powerful and very evil, but much cockier and less wise than their predecessors. The FO is a lot of raw strength but has tremendous flaws in leadership. Kylo is outmaneuvered by Luke, Snoke is outmaneuvered by Kylo. Hux is maybe the most competent of all of them and still is majorly flawed

It's now a story about a fledgling totalitarian regime and a resistance in tatters fighting one another, rather than a pretty well organized and well led Empire fighting a well organized and well led resistance. All the old guard is gone and both sides are finding new blood to lead them forward. The new blood has a lot to learn. Ep 8 was about them figuring that out.

Sorry that was a stream of consciousness, dunno if it makes any sense. I'm exhausted

JohnnyQuickkick likes this.
  6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

God the fanboy reaction to this is glorious. I am all for Christmas on Porg Island: A Star Wars Story, if it will piss off those greasy basement dwelling [uck fay]s. (Not you Card)

And to be clear, I am talking about the portion of the fanbase that literally [itch bay]es about everything. If some of you don't like it, I'm okay with that. You aren't sitting on your Twitch channel [itch bay]ing about "hur dur, Finn said something I didn't think was funny... Worst. Sequel. Ever"

snoball5278 likes this.
  7. CardinalVol

I get their purpose, but I'd been happier had Chewy eaten all the porgs off the bat.

The baton was passed. You now have two people pretty much equal in power going at it in light vs. dark starting from scratch. I think the kid at the end was a tease of where this will go.

Also, the more I think, the more I like Luke and Poe having flaws. The good guys aren't perfect and screw up on occasion. I like it a lot.

tvolsfan likes this.
  8. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I knew it wouldn't happen because it's Star Wars, but I so so very badly wanted Rey to go with Kylo and say, "[uck fay] the Sith. [uck fay] the Jedi. [uck fay] the traditional powers that brought every bit of this struggle, death, & corruption, and let's start over incorporating both sides."

It would've been an amazing twist and torn down the lame, simplistic, & childlike 'good vs evil,' and avoids the self-repeating poem that has essentially become the original trilogy redux.

That said, I liked it much more than VII. Thought certain things were well-done and it kept my interest throughout.

9. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Kylo and Rey’s characters are pretty intriguing and likeable.

Snoke could have been cool. Still need to know his back story.

I have some complaints about Leia and Luke but overall pretty decent.

Also, I thought it felt a little too much like a Marvel movie.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They are marvel movies now, Disney owns Stars Wars and Marvel

11. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I know.

It is starting to lose the classic Star Wars vibe. Some people are fine with that.

12. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I liked this too. There is a theory that Hux is a Sith Lord and is steering Ren till the time is right to reveal himself.

13. CardinalVol

I don't see it. I think he's just the military commander in this.

14. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

You’re probably right.

15. CardinalVol

I'm going to see it again tonight. Will be interested to see if there is anything I missed the first time around.

16. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

We also didn’t get much back story on Finn. Kinda felt the story was a little foggy in this one.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I enjoyed it, but I’ve not seen one recently or ever.

I can appreciate being able to ask my buddy a few questions, read a few articles and know basically what was going on.

I may even watch the next one (and the trilogy about the kid sweeping the stoop at the end).

18. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

They left too many unanswered questions. Who was the old man from the village in Episode 7 that had the map to Skywalker ?

19. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Lor San Tekka

**TDCVOL** likes this.
  20. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Get ready for a lot more. It’s the new marvel