NBA / Cuban Aim to Stop "One and Done" Players - KY fans are breathless

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

An odd pairing of David Stern and Mark Cuban have each made comments that they agree that more needs to be done to prevent the "one-and-done" players coming into the NBA. While anything they would hope to change appears to require the Union's consent (and it's unlikely they would give it), that these two are even talking about it, means that it won't likely be ignored, at the very least.

And here's the really curious line, at least to me, that one of you basketball aficionados will need to more fully explain to those, like myself, who don't know exactly what they're alluding to here (I know it sounds simple enough, but why would he go out of his way to say it?):

And I love this line from Cuban, taking a direct shot at Kentucky (although to be fair I think that some phenomenal bball players and their families like it, too):

And another, more subtle jab:
    Link: Dallas Mavericks' Mark Cuban -- Make players stay 3 years in NCAA - ESPN Dallas

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I personally wish the NCAA and NBA would work together and adopt a rule similar to the NCAA baseball rule. You can go out of high school or go to JUCO and go after one, but if you go to NCAA you are in for 3 seasons.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I understand what he is saying about leaving some kids in a lurch if things don't work out and they only got the one year of school. The truth is, there are plenty of kids who NEVER get to go to school and still have no shot at the NBA. At the end of the day, you have to let athletes and their families make their choices-- even if they are often poor ones.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

As usual, Cuban proves that having once had a good idea and becoming a billionaire doesn't prevent one from thereafter becoming a perpetual imbecile.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I mean, couldn't those kids use some of that contract money to, uh, pay for college tuition?

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Sure.

But in reality is that how the average story is going to turn out?

I like the idea of it, college basketball would greatly benefit and so would the NBA, sure there are a few kids every year that are fully able to play in the NBA after one year of college ball but more often than not the average one-and-done player would benefit from staying in school more than a year.

Let's be honest, the truly elite players that you know are one-and-done aren't taking school serious anyway, it's just practice for the NBA. Thus making the whole process a little silly to me

7. GahLee

Making billions off an idea makes it slighty better than good in my book.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

He thinks forcing player to sty 3 years will help get rid of corruption? I think staying in college longer would make kids more likely to take money.

Also, I'm not really thrilled about the idea John Calipari having the same players for 3 years.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

as if he doesn't replace them with the same number of equally talented players each and every year.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

He still has to replace them with freshman.

If he had Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Teague for 3 year, we may be looking at a 118-2 record for Kentucky over 3 seasons. Hell even Calipari would probably get bored.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That'd be pretty awful. Hopefully other teams would be able to reel in multiple top recruits to try to compete.

12. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

He may not have those guys though if Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe were still there. Then again, I would hate dealing with those guys for 3 years too. That being said, no one forces Taylor Swift to take singing lessons at Vandy so why should a basketball player be forced to go to college?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

People have to be allowed to fail

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

While I do think this would improve the college game, I'm still not sure this would prevent the truly elite guys from "ruining their lives" by forgoing a college education. If the NBA isn't taking the one-and-doners, what's to prevent them from taking big checks to play overseas?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Whose fault is that? And how is making them go to college a year or two longer going to fix things?

16. GahLee

Can't fault a teenager for not being frugile with millions.

Maybe in that time span he matures or perhaps takes a college course that will teach him about money management.

Also the prep talent distribution would even out.

Kids would have to actually descide where would best fit them over the next three years instead of what program will best suit them for the draft in 6 months.

17. hatvol96

What kind of communist bullshit is that? Who, other than the [uck fay]ing Chinese, Cubans, and Venezuelans care about redistributing anything? Utter nonsense.

18. hatvol96

It would. This is just example 1,999,744 of Cuban running his mouth about a subject he knows nothing about.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It costs thousands to go to college, not millions. The investment would be rather small.

20. hatvol96

There are plenty of guys who go back and finish school after going to the NBA early. I've got a news flash for the "make them stay 3 years crowd." If a guy doesn't take one year of college seriously and take advantage of the educational opportunity , he's not suddenly going to get serious because he's forced to be there two extra years.