Vols Top Two-Time Defending Champs 5-4

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Tar Volon, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

That's the 7th win in a row and 4th straight in conference (granted, the last three were against 1-8 Alabama). First win in Columbia since 2008. At 6-4 in conference, Tennessee needs one more win to match last year's seven win total.

Tomorrow night's game will be televised at 8 PM on ESPNU, for those who are interested in such things.

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I like how this team scraps.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Theyve already met my goal for the weekend. Now im greedy and want to win the series.

4. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

Anyone still think this guy was a bad hire?

5. CardinalVol

Who ever said he was a bad hire?

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Big win. One more would be downright epic.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I still believe coaches should have a college degree, yes. Has nothing to do with onfield success. Come at me, bro

8. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

UT was clutch as hell last night. Answered the bell everytime and took the fight to SC.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

What is this catcher doing for SC? Does anyone else see this?

Go Vols, btw

10. CardinalVol

I really like these gray jerseys. Might be my favorite we've worn in years.

11. CardinalVol

Huh?

This game has a feeling that we are about to lose 10-1.

12. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

No. UT will find a way to win.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Watch him throw the ball back to the pitcher. Do you not see the hitch every time?

14. Tar Volon

Vols battle hard but fall 2-1 in the bottom of the 9th. Great game. Drop to 6-5 in SEC play, Carolina improves to 4-7 (but are still #10 in the country). Rubber match tomorrow.

15. 7thgroupvolfan

There was never a standard in place so I don't feel the university lowered any standards by hiring a coach without a degree. A degree doesn't mean you are smarter than the next guy and it dosen't help on the baseball field. There's something called leardership and that's something that you cannot teach. You either have it or you don't. Come at me, bro.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I think coaches should have a degree. But the issue I had more than anything was Serrano passing off his worthless degree as if it were enough. That said, you won't find a bigger fan of his than me. The guy is a great coach and a good guy to boot. I would love to see him come out and work towards a degree, though.

17. 7thgroupvolfan

I believe that he should work towards getting a degree. We could go back and forth about this matter. It's only a matter of opinions, though. He is Tennessee's coach and will be for awhile I hope. The team plays very hard for Serrano and that should hold some kind of value towards his coaching abilities and character.

18. Tar Volon

I tend to agree, just so that he can relate a little more to the players and so that we can put all this degree mill stuff to rest. But it does happen that people getting teaching positions without the requisite degree if they have special relevant skills, and Coach Serrano so far absolutely looks like he does.

19. l3rewski

l3rewski Member

What's your reasoning? Just curious. What would an accredited degree do to make him a better coach? Or are you focused more on the University's image/employment standards?

There doesn't appear to be a correlation between having a degree and having leadership abilities, higher moral standards and basic common sense. Besides, he has already shown great coaching and leadership abilities. As long as players/parents don't care, then I don't care.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't just about an "image" for the university. It is about what a university IS. It is an institution of higher education. Of learning. Not a sports franchise. The players are supposed to be student athletes, working towards a degree while playing a sport. Their coach should be a person who was successful in that task as well. It is hard to say academics are important for players when the attitude with the coach is "as long as he is winning and can coach, who cares?"