The Athletic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Mar 14, 2018.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Has anybody subscribed to this? I'm tempted as a lot of my favorite writers are there now and more seem to be moving there weekly.

If so, worth it?

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yes. I’ve been on it since inception, as they started in Chicago and specifically with the Cubs.

In fact, I don’t have enough time in the day to read as much as I’d like.

3. CardinalVol

Actually, I should have just PM'd you as you were who I had in mind.

So you recommend it?

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yes.

I can’t speak specifically to the St Louis writers, because [uck fay] the Cardinals, but if they’re a half as good as the Chicago guys, it’s worth it.

You can set your news feed preferences any way you like, whether it’s one sport, one team, one city, etc. It’s quite nice to not have to filter through a bunch of shit, like Facebook, for example, to get to what you want to see.

I don’t know what the cost is now, versus when I signed up or if it’s the same. However, if you dig a little, they’re usually offering somebody’s fan base a discount to subscribe.

It’s quite staggering how they’ve blown up in the last 9 months or so. The baseball writing is particularly incredible to me.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

And the comment sections are actually enjoyable to read because it’s not a whole lot troll “derp derp” type shit.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What site is this? I have work to do.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You won’t get much work done. They moderate it heavily.

8. CardinalVol

Probably because they've got the best in the bus writing for them now. It blows everyone else away and it's not close.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Interesting. How much is it? I'm probably not going to pay for it, but I'm curious.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

About 40 bucks a year maybe? I don’t even know. It autorenews for me.

11. CardinalVol

First year is like 2.99 a month.

12. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I've definitely been tempted when Stu Mandel posts his stuff from the site. Occasionally see articles related to different teams that I would definitely be interested in.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The college football stuff is solid. For the promo rate I think it’s worth it

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

There has been quite a few really good college football articles I haven’t seen similar elsewhere.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Turns out, after looking it up, it’s 40 bucks a year, or $3.33 a month.

I think it’s worth it at 2.99 or 3.33.

What I don’t know is if I got grandfathered in at that price and it’s more now, or if that all it is.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think the renewal rate is higher

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My iTunes subscription says it’s 40 bucks annually.

droski likes this.
  18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I ditched ESPN insider because it wasn't worth it. And I haven't signed up for kenpom the last few years because betting on college hoops became a chore and if I'm not betting on college hoops, I'm barely following college hoops. This would seem to suggest that the money I might have spent on those two things could be spent on the athletic.

BUT......I still bet on college football, and Phil Steele's website is a resource I like having at my disposal, and that focker focking jacked up his subscription price by like almost 10X last year, which is way more than I wanted to drop on internet content, but I sucked it up and got the subscription anyway.

19. CardinalVol

Signed up and so far the only downside I see is that I probably should have waited until after tax season to do so.

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Lol yeah I haven’t been getting my money’s worth that past couple months.