We need bipartisan mascots

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 9, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

The University of Tennessee has a problem. Despite having two main mascots, both of them are affiliated with the same political party- a political party now in the minority in the Volunteer state.

Davy Crockett was a Democrat who served in Congress before liberalizing Texas away from Mexico in an effort to give voice to the immigrant Anglo minority group living there.

Smokey is the original Blue Dog Democrat, given the political landscape in the state at the time of his inauguration, and the changes since then.

If UT were to add a third mascot that would better represent the Republican students and alumni, what would it be?

Yes, this is a horseshit thread.

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

An elephant to represent the fat people?

Although Bama uses an elephant.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, I was going to point out our biggest and most historic rivals use elephants. Didn't want to alienate half of our fan base, though. I would say black bears but that is now taken. What about another Congressman? Or a Haslem?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

What was Andrew Jackson's party?

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He can be an honorary mascot next time we play FSU.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

blackkidgoinooooohh.gif

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would approve

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I would laugh.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

A new meaning to "awful funny."

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Andy was the original jackass...

But remember that, back then, the parties had different positions. Jackson wasn't so liberal, and a couple decades later, the GOP came onto the scene promoting big government when big government wasn't cool.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bullshit. Jackson went all affirmative action on those natives, and let the white minority have a chance. He redistributed the wealth of property.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I was thinking about the National Bank, but I see your point.