Worst UT Coach of the Modern Era?

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Unimane, Mar 19, 2018.

?

Who has been the worst UT coach of the modern era?

1. [ddiapos]

3.3%
  2. Donnie Tyndall

3.3%
  3. Holly Warlick

6.7%
  4. Butch Jones

66.7%
  5. Dave Serrano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. JJ Clark (Former Track Coach)

3.3%
  7. Buzz Peterson

6.7%
  8. Cuonzo Martin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Todd Raleigh

10.0%
  1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Since the start of the new millennium, UT sports has left much to be desired with a collection of mediocre results promulgated by an inept administration hiring a gaggle of even more incompetent coaches across all sports. So, who is the worst? Use any method of determination as you see fit in this race to the bottom. I'm curious as to how the wise posters of the 8th will come to their conclusions. Please let me know if I failed to include a coach that should be up for consideration.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They all suck, it's hard to pick the shittiest one

3. Unimane

That's what makes it fun, sort of. I think my criteria is the worst coach relative to their sport. In that regard, I'm having trouble picking between Warlick and Jones. One of them is like the rich kid who is running Daddy's company into the ground. The other is like the poor dude who won the lottery and blew his money on hookers, blow and 76 sports cars.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

tbh, the one that probably did the most damage as far as where a program was to where it went was JJ Clark

Poppa T likes this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I thought Tyndall could coach a little. She liked that 1-3-1 and I've always liked it with a little surprise trapping

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Wow, a list that made Peterson look good. No Bruce as an option?

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

If I win the lottery, that's exactly how I plan to blow the money.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Todd Raleigh

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The solution can best be found with a bracket. Let's do it. March Sadness. Tweet it out.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

The defeat eight

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

When you look at the totality of their body of work, it's hard to argue that any coach either did less with more, or had a more spectacular meltdown, than Butch.

Okibi2112 and IP like this.
  13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Raleigh was worse than Serrano.

lylsmorr and justingroves like this.
  14. Unimane

Oh, I don't know. Warlick took a gold mine, the preeminent program in the country and, easily, top 2 best of the last 2 decades and can't even get beyond the round of 32 anymore, all the while getting top 3 recruiting classes.

chavisut likes this.
  15. Unimane

I added Raleigh.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Raleigh was probably the dumbest, like a 52 IQ dumb. He's right there with Butch.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tyndall was just an amazingly stupid, tone deaf hire. Pearl gets canned due to NCAA issues, you have a messy divorce with Counzo and you hire a known cheater.

JohnnyQuickkick likes this.
  18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m not sure it was really the preeminent program in the country at the time but it shouldn’t ever have fallen below top 3-5 in any given year

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I think that the program was clearly in decline before Holly took over, and was far - far - less of the juggernaut that it once was. On top of that, she not only found herself trying to resurrect a program in decline, but against arguably the best coach ever in the women's game, and in his ascendency to unprecedented dominance.

And, the number of female hoops players who can play and win at that level are infinitesimal, compared to the number of men's hoops, much less baseball and football. Essentially, having fewer available recruits makes it exponentially harder to make up any list ground, much less at the clip that Gino had surged ahead of everyone...Holly included.

I'm no apologist for Holly, neither knowing anything more about her than her terrible results or the women's game outside of what any casual observer may know. I suspect that she was the fan favorite to be hired, and that singularly won her the gig....but that she wasn't the best coach that we could have hired, seems to be in way over her head, and was destined for less-than-ideal success / failure from the outset.

And, that she at least hasn't been an on-going embarrassment off the court automatically puts her well above both Dooley and Butch on the scale of most terrible.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Whoa whoa... Buzz is maybe the worst end-game coach in the history of college-basketball.