Worst UT Coach of the Modern Era?

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Unimane, Mar 19, 2018.

?

Who has been the worst UT coach of the modern era?

1. [ddiapos]

3.3%
  2. Donnie Tyndall

3.3%
  3. Holly Warlick

6.7%
  4. Butch Jones

66.7%
  5. Dave Serrano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. JJ Clark (Former Track Coach)

3.3%
  7. Buzz Peterson

6.7%
  8. Cuonzo Martin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Todd Raleigh

10.0%
  1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I saw Todd Raleigh speak to a group one time, and his major contribution to the dialogue is that UT would no longer wear black baseball caps.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is how champions are made.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Fair points all, but, when Holly really took over, in 2011, they were just coming off an undefeated SEC season and tourney title at 34-3 with an Elite 8 . The Ferrari was still in the garage for whomever lucky SOB was ready to take the reigns. Plus, there's only one other coach and program to concern yourself in the sport and you can still show up at any recruit's house wearing orange and get a sit down. Football has a much more difficult minefield to navigate. A premier program in women's basketball, basically, gets a pass to the Sweet 16, maybe even Elite 8. She can't even get there anymore.

The not embarrassing off the court is a strong mark against Jones, though. Warlick did have a "Champions of Life" moment the other day after losing to Oregon State in the 2nd round.

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I got to do a sit down radio interview with him. In the 30 minute conversation, he expressed his desire to play "gorilla ball" about 14 times.

No explanation as to what gorilla ball was, he just said it a lot.

IP likes this.
  5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Cool scalps, full hearts, can't lose!

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He wasn't even good at his previous school. It's as if we just expected him to figure it out when he got here, sort of like several others on this list.

IP likes this.
  7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Maybe, but I'd put him middle of the pack.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It’s sad that there are so many legitimate options

Poppa T likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Buzz was such a great wordsmith and oozed of intelligence when he spoke

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

He, Randy Sanders and Bob Kesling should sit in a room and discuss topics for 30 minutes. I'd watch it.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Jones is the worst because he was okay with 7-5.

He's a loser, with a loser mentality. Dooley didn't care, but he didn't make a bowl game comparable to a Super Bowl. He was pretty honest in assessing his job. Holly wants to win, she just sucks.

Serrano was legitimately pissed he was losing. Raleigh was lost, I don't think he could read a scoreboard.

Counzo didn't like the fans or boosters, which is kind of understandable. Tyndall was a bad cheater, JJ Clark was terrible and Buzz was just bad.

Only Butch made mediocrity out to be an achievement, though

IP, Joseph Brant and volfanjo like this.
  12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

this is a big one with me

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It pisses me off, but it isn't his fault he was interviewed. I would work for three years for 17 or 18 million dollars

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The degree to which Butch cared was pretty low, too, at least in terms of winning and losing.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

You would’ve tried to do the job though

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

True, I also wouldn't have had surgery on my hip and been wheeled around or sat on a stool

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

"It's all about the optics!"

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The man couldn't help that he was about to be out of health insurance. Freaking stooley

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

He fell to his knees sobbing at Georgia 2 seasons ago. Any win was something he could cling to as part of the narrative that he actually belonged where he was.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's because he rolled his ankle