Arkansas Fires Petrino?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Apr 9, 2012.

?

Will Petrino Be Fired at Arkansas?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2012.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm torn on this one.

On one hand, they can't possibly keep him. Can they?

The married father of two who had the audacity to hire his 25-year old mistress (herself, engaged) one week, and the abstract stupidity to not only saddle her aboard his own two-wheeled mid-life crisis, but to then crash both her and possibly his career atop it? Ostensibly, even the bouncing of his unhelmeted cranium on the pavement didn't seem to have jarred any more common sense loose, either. First, there was his immediate admonishment to bystanders not to call 911, which is curious, considering that his injuries must have seemed both obvious and serious. "How obvious and serious?", you ask?

[​IMG]
    "Pretty damn." I flatly respond.

Immediately thereafter, he absconds from the scene (leaving his red hog with [itch bay]in' saddle bags) lying on the side of the road, with thus far unnamed persons who took him to rendezvous with his designated state trooper, presumably, whom he had called to request assistance.

[​IMG]
    The last guy who used an Arkansas state-issued phone was given a new hat and matching windbreaker.

And despite all of this, even after some time to reflect upon the reality of his predicament, his coup de grace might actually arise from his failure to tell Arkansas AD Jeff Long of both his passenger and their (ahem) "inappropriate relationship" until minutes before the official police report was made public. If there is one thing that AD's, especially of high-profile schools, loathe more than a negative-attention grabbing scandals involving any members of their staffs - much less their head coach - it's being blind-sided by one.

[​IMG]
    In Knoxville, we call this, "Exhibit A"

While it seems obvious to everyone outside of Fayettville, the issue is not so clear-cut, nor will be so easily decided inside of it. Arkansas is arguably the third best team in the SEC, and has regained much of the national stature which they enjoyed in the early years of Nutt's tenure, and seems to have a future that's only growing both larger and brighter with every win. You can neither rely on in-state talent or a favorable schedule to explain it, because it's inarguably a result of Bobby Petrino, alone. And no one knows that better than Jeff Long.

And so my question is this: Will Petrino be fired at Arkansas? Not should he, nor does he deserve to be fired - but will he? Will Jeff Long ultimately andactually pull, or be allowed to pull, the trigger to terminate him from Arkansas?

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I would bet that Petrino returns.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I would say that if he had most any other job in America, he's probably be fired given the facts as we know them. Not sure how it will play out though.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I bet he stays

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

And then leaves, without hesitation, the moment a better opportunity presents itself.

The guy can coach, but he's a snake. He's burned Arky once, and he'll most definitely do it again.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I would imagine that the AD feels like his cart is hitched to Petrino and if they get rid of him, the AD is gone too. That's why I think he'll ultimately stay with some sort of contract revision to dock Petrino in pay.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

They were naive fools to hire him and would be naive fools to fire him now.

8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I think ultimately either Slive or Emmert (or likely a combination of the two) make it impossible for Arky to keep him. This just keeps getting deeper and deeper. I thought he was safe until I read about him hitching a ride with the girl back to meet up with his personal in season State Highway Patrol Officer, having her drive off then going to the hospital to take care of himself. I can't help but think there's even more to this story and one of two things will happen: 1. As Paul Harvey used to say we'll get to hear "the rest of the story" and it will be his downfall or 2. Arky finds out about the rest of the story and fires him before it can become public.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I didn't know about that, Bill. That certainly changes things. Just on the surface, it would appear that Petrino might be trying to bribe the State Police. If he's caught doing that, he's turbo [uck fay]ed.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Yeah, this is where I think he meets his end:
    Arkansas State Police looking closer at football coach Bobby Petrino crash - ESPN

Everything in this writeup just seems fishy.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I just read that Captain King has been cleared of any wrongdoing, but that doesn't mean that Petrino didn't try to influence what was happening as far as the reporting of the crash. So, I don't know if this is good or bad for Petrino.

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

on a slightly unrelated topic, how do you get to be the football coach's security guard when you're a State Trooper? Sounds like an easy gig, the only easier one being the red hatted ref that gets to stand on the 20 yd line during commercials. (PS, it's my dream to be the red hatted ref one day)

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think he gets fired. "Administrative leave" seems code language for going over his contract with a fine-toothed comb to circumvent any potential legal fallout from all of this. I wonder if Butch Davis didn't have an NCAA cloud over him if Petrino would already have gotten the boot? It would seem a perfect fit, imo.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He's going to stay. They will cut his pay and he will miss a few games, but no way they fire him.

They have built on to the stadium and are upgrading the athletic facilities. Petrino has brought a ton of cash to the program.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I think Malzahn is Arky's guy whenever they drop Petrino.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Something just tells me Arkansas will hang on to Petrino

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

turbo [uck fay]ed needs to be added to the 8thmaxim dictionary.

18. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I think if they were going to fire him they would have done it by now. He's on the sidelines next season IMO.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

My uncle is a State Trooper, and apparently, you pull off the football duty by being connected politically, at least according to him.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He'd be correct.