Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Nothing, insofar as I’m concerned, but the writer of this article thinks otherwise.

It’s all about cars, I guess.
    You can’t have only the bits of a person that you like, agree with, desire and find profitable.

Link: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/its-nearly-time-for-teslas-board-to-move-on-elon-musk-2018-05-25

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He definitely has a bit of crazy about him, as do most people that are that creative (look at Nikolai Tesla, the man Musk named his car company after).

But he has some good points and some crazy points.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The weirdest people I know mostly also double as the smartest people I know. And I usually find them fascinating.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have seen cocaine rumors. Fwiw.

fl0at_ likes this.
  5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It wouldn't super surprise me.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Would also not be shocked.

7. Tenacious D

Add me to the “not shocked” list, but will give him the benefit of the doubt.

He’s nuclear-grade eccentric, for sure.

8. Tenacious D

This seems....oddly familiar....

9. Tenacious D

And this....

10. Tenacious D

I’m probably gay now. Uncloseted gay, that is.

11. Tenacious D

Someone else strongly agrees with this...

12. Tenacious D

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, hes not wrong.

14. Tenacious D

He’s not, at all.

But they’re going to attack him as if he was, because dumb people do dumb things, and it’ll be curious to see how that plays out.

15. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'm not the most objective person when it comes to Elon, but I understand from where a lot of his frustration comes. When nearly every accident involving a Tesla becomes national news (regardless of autopilot involvement) and you see headlines like the below after announcing the performance version of a vehicle, it's going to vex.
    Still, he's in a unique dynamic. Musk is the marketing for his products and has benefited from media coverage along the way. His personality is huge and draws lovers and haters in equal parts, so the seep into media is no real surprise. And it goes both ways—there are outlets drinking his bathwater on the regular. He needs the attention because he uses the attention and he (largely) benefits from the attention. This whole deal is likely intended to place additional scrutiny on select outlets in hopes they'll double-down on journalistic integrity practices where it concerns him and his companies.

In the end, though, he's a CEO with shareholders and he'd be wise to act like one more often. Eccentricity is fine and I personally love it, but not everyone does. Especially coming from someone in his position.

16. Tenacious D

Et tu, GCB? Et [uck fay]ing tu?

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It's interesting to watch. I've spoken about my frustration with political tribalism, but it's also on display with this kerfuffle. The media/journalist community have banded together to scold Elon for 'not knowing how journalism works', 'lashing out against news he doesn't like' and 'not understanding the importance/working to undermine the free press'. They've retreated to their tribe and believe they have nothing for which to apologize.

He's not perfect, not even close. He makes mistakes and it's fair to call him out on those. Many of these journalists think he's lashing out because of the coverage of the last earnings call and/or reporting on the production challenges with the Model 3. I don't think this has anything to do with stories like those. Hell, he's openly admitted he screwed up by over-automating too quickly. It's the disproportionate and often incomplete coverage of Tesla accidents and click-bait headlines/articles ruffling his feathers.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So his grammar in this tweet was disparaged by a writer in Teny's first post... Am I missing something?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i read his autobiography and definitely came away thinking he maybe wasn't quite the visionary people think he is.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He’s a little bit wrong; it isn’t his or “his team’s” job to play big brother.

He’s protecting IP, and calling it national secrets.