Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know about that. He is legally obligated to protect some types of information, as his IP is being generated under government contract. Same as any military contractor.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think a lot of people believe amassing wealth to be a sign of some virtue or special trait. What if it isn't, in and of itself?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i put him in the cuban category. probably would be very successful no matter what, but is a billionaire because of some good turns of luck

IP likes this.
  4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yes, but he would also have to protect that information from being accidentally exposed to the journalist who wouldn't be cleared to see it in the first place.

So now we're still back to CYA to make sure they didn't accidentally expose something; not that the journalist accidentally exposed something.

5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Could be, but we don't know it to be the case in this particular instance. I do like your use of 'a little bit wrong'. This is the bigger issue, in my opinion, and why Musk is on this tirade. He's being bashed by media types for not knowing how journalism works and really needs to 'stay in his lane'. However, this particular example highlights how nuance is often at play. Yes, ordinarily a journalist would never require approval from the subject of a piece but in this instance it makes sense.

Some journalists keep arguing he doesn't know how journalism works, and I believe there is some truth there. However, I'd say he does have a pretty good idea about how journalism is supposed to work and is responding to a few failures.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I understand why he'd protect gcb, but why would he protect ip?

gcbvol likes this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

True of most if not all billionaires.

IP likes this.
  8. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Eh, not in the sense that Droski means.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

maybe. though i wouldn't put gates or buffett in that category. i would put zuckerberg.

10. gcbvol

I'm a big fan of his overarching vision and what he's trying to do with his companies. I truly believe he's trying to make the world a better place while also working to ensure the long term survival of the species. Succeed or fail he has my respect.

11. gcbvol

Okay, this was pretty good.

12. NorrisAlan

Gates was very lucky to be where he lived and went to school and the PC explosion.

Who knows how he does ten years earlier or later.

Market speculators I may give the benefit of the doubt to other than being born in the USA. Their method of gaining wealth may well be beyond the need for serendipity but then it may not.

IP likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a redundancy, and it's best practice. Media likely sign an NDA for sensitive information that isn't necessarily IP, such as facility layout or some such, and the material they generate gets reviewed.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would be similar to the plan for the Chunnel.

15. gcbvol

Makes sense. I found the tweet placement/timing humorous due to the 'Adam Ruins Everything' aspect.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's not nearly as clever or smart as he thinks he is/portrayed as.

droski likes this.
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sure he was lucky that the technology got to the point where the PC explosion could happen. he's likely not the richest guy on the planet if he's 20 years older, but i bet he's still a billionaire doing something.

18. gcbvol

Oh, I agree. The timing and tangent just struck me as funny. I remember he did a segment on going green using very inaccurate/incomplete source material to make arguments.

19. gcbvol

I am a big believer and supporter of the free press, but the below exchange is where I take issue.

Focus on the exchange related to Tesla factory safety. Elon's response was to a question asking if his recent media riff has anything to do with recent investigation into Tesla factory safety.

How in the world does his measured response stating they were below industry average in 2015, but have improved every year to better than industry average today elicit this reply/question? This lady is a journalist and she somehow twisted his response into believing graphic factory injuries are fun and games. She's [uck fay]ing proving his point. Well done I guess.

20. NorrisAlan

You cannot win a Twitter war, so best to stay off the damn thing.