Couple of Random Notes From the Coaches Camp

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 13, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

From a buddy of mine in attendance -

1. Full spread team now. Entire offense is shotgun 3/4 wide w/a pistol backfield. (I'm trying to get clarification on this if he means pistol of how Spurrier lined his back behind the QB in the Gun.)

2. Very up tempo practice, much more than under Fulmer from 99-02. (He was a manager then.)

3. Sunseri is very intense and he is impressed w/what he is seeing from him.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I just dont like us being spread all the time.

3. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

wonder if theyll show it in spring game...

4. CardinalVol

Says we're lining up in some pistol and shotgun with backs set up different ways. Directly beside the QB, behind the QB, and then behind and offset the QB at 6-7 yards.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, crap. This makes me nervous.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Something that I was just thinking about. We put all of our eggs in the Bray, Hunter, Rogers basket last year, and it looked like that once Hunter went down and we actually had to run the ball some, it looked like we hadn't done any running drills in spring or fall camp. A disaster 5-7 season is the result when 2/3 of your combo gets hurt. Fast forward to this spring, in which there is supposedly so much emphasis on the run game, but yet we are running spread formations, where running is usually minimal at best unless you have a dual threat qb.

My question/concern is this, what if any of the big proponents of the passing game get hurt and we happen to be as lost this year as we were last in the running game, it will be another disater. I sure hope that this staff figured out after last year that you have to be able to run the ball or your offense will look piss poor in the meat of the season, but with the almost exclusive spread look, it doesn't appear that they have. This concerns me about the upcoming season, and only further makes me doubt Dooley's ability to get it done here.

I hope this is a case of gearing your offense to what you are strong in, but as we saw last year, if the injury bug hits, we could be right back to square one.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, that is where I am at too Macon.

Then again, surely we are do for a low injury year. It feels like we have been the most snake-bitten injury-wise in the conference since 2005.

8. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

You would think so, but nothing will surprise me after the last few seasons.

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

At least it will be a different offense then we are used to and maybe will keep the defense's on their toes. Maybe we won't be as predictable. This could be a good thing as long as our WR's stay healthy.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Those wide receiver sweeps seem to be good for the constitution.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

If you aren't physical in practice, you're players won't know how to handle physical play during the year.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The injury bug seems to bite us harder than most teams that are actually physical

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's got the potential to be a long year.

14. CardinalVol

Few more notes after having breakfast with him today-

1. He thinks Jacques Smith will have a great year and that the defense was made for him.

2. He sent an assistant to Bama's coaching clinic a couple of weeks ago and after comparing notes and a video they released, he says it's official that we're going to run Bama's defense.

3. Sunseri is intense, loud, smart, and cusses every other word.

4. He got to talk with Gruden and he is a really nice guy.

5. Dooley is very smart, but doesn't have any common sense.

6. And finally.................the receiver package we used yesterday in the four wide set - Rodgers, Hunter, Rogers, and..........................

Ben Bartholmew.

15. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Did Bartholomew start in the backfield then motion outside, or did he just line up outside?

16. CardinalVol

Lined up.

Hardly any fullback sets.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Uhhhh. Didn't Will kind of ruin the South Carolina game by dropping a TD? What about Rivera, Dallas, Downs, or even Clear, all of which I am sure have better hands?

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Thats kind of my thought. God Patterson and these freshman wideouts can't get here soon enough. Patterson better get in or we are [uck fay]ed playing this style.

19. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

The freshman are going to have to contribute early at WR. If any of Patterson, D Rogers, or Hunter get injured it's going to be a long, long season.

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I suspect they will all be used. Clear out wide will be fun to see.