Dooley Post Scrimmage 4/14/12

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Apr 14, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

[video=youtube;Sv2B-hSXR_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2B-hSXR_M&feature=player_embedded[/video]

At the 1:10 mark, Dooley uses the words, good football team when referencing Tennessee. Said there is still a lot of work to do, but thats the first time since being here, that Dooley has said we have a chance to be a good football team. What do you think? Do you believe him? Also, since he said "good", what should we interpret that as coming from him?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

11 men on the field?

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

That would be a turn in the right direction.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Well. . .

1. He's finally realized that he should say nice things about the team sometimes so they don't live down to expectations.
    2. He figured lowering expectations isn't going to save his job anymore, so he might as well try to get fans excited.
    3. The last two years have been so bad that he has no standard of "good."
    4. We have a good football team

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Nicely broken down.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I think its probably a mixture of some of the things Tar Volon stated. I think this team could possibly be good, but I also think that Dooley realizes these players need more encouragement from him, and less of pointing out their flaws, which would lead him to say something like that.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I say it's either #2 or #3.

#4 is a possibility

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[video=youtube;tjHoW-FGmRw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjHoW-FGmRw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;-Bmf1ZdYCaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bmf1ZdYCaE&feature=relmfu[/video]

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Remember when Crompton was shaping up to be the worst Tennessee player of all time and Kiffin claimed he'd get drafted? Maybe there really is something to this positive reinforcement stuff.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Definitely 2 is a possiblity. I get the feeling he honestly feels there is a chance for 4 as well.

11. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I will say this. When I was playing goalie in high school, there was nothing that I liked better than hearing that I played good, but whenever I would play badly, I would want the coach to point it out, so in a way, I sort of asked the both sides of the spectrum. Do players not wanna know when they mess up, so they can correct it?

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Some do and some don't. That's what makes the philosophy of coaching so very important.

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Pygmalian(I can't spell from phone) theory. Kiffin was the master of using it.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pygmalion theory versus Dooley's old "Flowers for Algernon" method where he would just watch his team deteriorate through the course of a season, pointing out that they originally sucked when he got here anyway.

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Yes, with the way he got Crompton to perform down the stretch. It was unbelievable.